Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Finding Neutral  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Boneman1

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Southampton
Finding Neutral
« on: June 04, 2017, 03:56:52 PM »
I have a 2016 model with HP rear sets. I am struggling to find neutral. It was a bit easier to find with the std set up.
Anyone else have the same issue

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Re: Finding Neutral
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 09:13:08 PM »
Depends on what you mean by struggling, I'very tapped up n down in the past while stationary trying to get neutral but it's a rare occurrence. I guess the more you ride the slicker your foot becomes!
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 11:30:50 PM »
It is a bit more difficult to get neutral on the XR than my previous bikes, I find I'm often popping into 2nd a lot while trying to find neutral....but after a while it becomes easier, you just need a slightly softer touch.... Or....just leave it in 1st and start the engine with the clutch in..! :015:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Elvisto

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Audley, S-o-T
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 08:51:09 AM »
I have the same problem Smithy, but only when its cold , after that its not a problem a few miles down the road,
Adventure before dementia

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 09:34:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Elvisto [+]
I have the same problem Smithy, but only when its cold , after that its not a problem a few miles down the road,

Yep...I hear ya Elvisto....mine's the same, I suspect every XR is the same...or it's just my doofus clown sized feet.. :001: :034:

I wonder if the oil type would make a difference, semi synth vs full synth..?? I've not long had the first "running-in" service done and I don't know what oil they've put in....I should know....but I neglected to ask :027: Was a BMW dealer so I suspect/hope they used the right stuff.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline xrrider

• XR Junior
  • xrrider
  • Bike: s1000 xr
  • Town: rome
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 02:37:08 PM »
Quite old question, but the problem seems to be still here. My xr is 2018my, bought new here in Italy, identical issue.
In the traffic is hard to find the neutral after the temperature has reached 80 degrees.
The trouble was not present in the demo ride model I tried, nor in my bike until 2.000km (1.242mi) . Also tried to adjust  the clutch knob, no luck.
Official assistance told me that is not normal (!) , in mid-January I will make the 10,000km (6.213mi) service, they will investigate.Honestly, I'm not confident, we'll see. It's very annoying, indeed.
Sometimes at the traffic light I have to power off the bike.
A couple of friend of mine, with an s1000rr told me that they have the some problem, it's not funny . Let's see what the official service will say..:-(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:54:20 PM by xrrider »

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 04:08:20 PM »
This seems to be a problem on many bikes. Mine is a 2015 model and to be honest I do not have any problem finding first. I hope you can get it sorted. Please let us know how you get on after its service....
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Boneman1

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Southampton
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 06:18:28 PM »
I was the one who asked this question. Mine has improved and is much easier to find neutral. I think this is largely due to technique light touch and putting more miles on it (familiarity) than anything else. BMW gear boxes have been clunky compared to the jap bikes. I have owned a few bmw bikes and speak from experience.. l love my S1000XR and except for the poor heating in the grips can’t fault it.

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 10:34:34 PM »
A positive neutral finder would be useful (like I had on my Versys 1000).

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 12:40:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Boneman1 [+]
I was the one who asked this question. Mine has improved and is much easier to find neutral. I think this is largely due to technique light touch and putting more miles on it (familiarity) than anything else.

Same here....now I actually find it easier going from 2nd down to neutral rather than trying to come up from 1st, especially if rolling to a stop at lights etc..

Smithy.

dysfunctional