Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: My first decent ride since bringing my new XR home.  (Read 1096 times)

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
My first decent ride since bringing my new XR home.
« on: June 05, 2017, 10:23:42 PM »
Hi All,
A bit of a long ramble so please bare with me.. :034:

I have had my new '17 for a couple of months now but haven't really had a chance to get out for a decent ride in since I brought it home from the dealer, work, family and life responsibilities get in the way of our fun sometimes :010: I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation. I've done the odd commute to wurk etc...but nothing which has allowed me to open the XR up and see what she can do.

That chance finally came on Saturday (3rd June) just gone, I live in SW Sydney, Australia... so it's coming into winter for us here in down-under land....was a nice sunny day... cool, but nice weather nonetheless. I decided to go for a ~250km pedal around my favorite local roads, lots of long sweeping corners and some nice twisty 2nd gear stuff thrown in for good measure. I have the T30 Bridgestones fitted which came on the bike, just shy of 2000km on the bike thus far and the tyres are still like new....still had ~12-13mm of chicken strips showing on both sides too :006: Anywho, my intention was to get rid of these afore mentioned chicken strips, or at least give it my best shot.

I'm really impressed with the D-ESA suspension of this machine, highly adjustable using just a push of a button or two...really loving that....gone are the days of kneeling beside my bike on the side of the road (several times) and praying to the suspension gods whilst tearing my knuckles off or burning my fingers on a hot exhaust adjusting preload this and rebound/compression that to get it just so. We're spoilt with this machine. I quite like the plush ride of the "road" setting when commuting and doddling around....but once on my fave roads the dynamic modes come into their own, being able to do this on the fly is just a great thing...and the burbling exhaust on the overrun is a nice reminder of what mode I'm in. Dynamic mode is quite firm but still pliable....very clever indeed, she holds a cornering line like no other bike I've ridden...and there has been quite a few over the years, VTR Firestorm, SP1, Blackbird, VFR1200...etc to name but a few.

Had a blast during my ride and loved every minute of it, don't get me wrong, I'm no high speed knee dragger and I'm not a young man anymore at 55.. and a pure sports bike would have me crippled in a couple of hours...but the XR has me getting off the bike with a silly grin without having to call for my zimmer frame and chiropractor ....the handling is just awesome and the engine performance is just the icing on the cake, I'm still blown away by the torque of this engine, how BMW get so much torque from such a short stroke is beyond me :033:...well happy with my choice of bike, I did test ride the latest Multistrada and it is indeed a fine motorcycle...and I nearly pushed the button for one, came this close :016: ...but I was put off a bit by some of the horror stories of bits falling off, silly servicing costs and engines expiring for no apparent reason....

BTW, the chicken strips on my T30's are now down to ~2-3mm, TBH I'm surprised at how well the T30's grip...for a primarily sport-touring tyre...they ain't too bad, I'm sure there are better tyres out there but for me they're just fine and I doubt I'll ever be better than they are....just need to get the bollocks to take 'em right to the edge :034:

Anywho, that's my 2c worth for a short review...a fine machine is the XR.

Smithy.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:45:14 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '16 White XR
  • Town: San Diego
Re: My first decent ride since bringing my new XR home.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:42:02 AM »
Sounds like a good time.  I'm pretty amazed how the XR handles and accelerates.  My strips are gone on the left side,  a few MM's on the right.   I guess I'm more comfortable turning left.  But I also have a bad right knee, and it hurts when I get the ball of my foot on the peg.  So my my size twelve starts scraping before I get a good lean angle.  At least that's my excuse. :) 

I don't need an all season tire, so I just got some Q3+'s.  Should be fun.
Raptor exhaust / HP sport seat / BM crash bars / Nav VI / Dunlop Q3+'s / Puig screen / Synto levers / TPX radar detector / D.I.D gold X chain / HVMP bar ends / RRG cooler guards / Wunderlich f&r fender extenders & big brake lever / Hepco and Becker stand enlarger / R&G f&r axle sliders / rim tape

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Canterbury
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »
Nice little write up Smithy.
The only thing that puzzles me is where do you get to stretch your XR's legs in Aus?  I was lucky enough to visit Aus in January flying in to Melbourne, down to Philip Island for the fantastic Island International Classic then drove up the coast to Batemans Bay where we turned inland and on to Sydney via Canberra and the Blue Mountains.
Never, ever, ever have I visited a country (and I've been to quite a few) with such a paranoia and zero tolerance attitude to speeding!  People were warning me I'd get a ticket for even 1 kph over the limit!
As we droned about at a maximum of 100 kph in our hire car I even thought I don't know if I'd bother owning a bike let alone a performance bike if I lived there.

Lovely friendly people though.  :152:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:56:10 PM by PL2112 »

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 08:31:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by PL2112 [+]
Nice little write up Smithy.
The only thing that puzzles me is where do you get to stretch your XR's legs in Aus?  I was lucky enough to visit Aus in January flying in to Melbourne, down to Philip Island for the fantastic Island International Classic then drove up the coast to Batemans Bay where we turned inland and on to Sydney via Canberra and the Blue Mountains.
Never, ever, ever have I visited a country (and I've been to quite a few) with such a paranoia and zero tolerance attitude to speeding!  People were warning me I'd get a ticket for even 1 kph over the limit!
As we droned about at a maximum of 100 kph in our hire car I even thought I don't know if I'd bother owning a bike let alone a performance bike if I lived there.

Lovely friendly people though.  :152:

I hear ya.....and what you say is 90% true, I drone to work and back each day in my trusty Ford Transit knowing I can get pinged at any moment for even the most minor infraction, however, Aus is a huge place, it's the size of the whole of Europe or the US, superimpose it over the UK to get an idea..... once out in the middle of nowhere and away from the well trodden and patrolled roads there are very few if any plod around to give you grief...I have a small group of ~6 mates we all have a mix of BMW S1000RR's and XR's... and we sometimes get out for a week or so at a time to play on the roads down in the NSW and Victorian snowfields, during the "non winter" months of course....some of the best high speed and cornering roads on the planet there and we can travel at high speed for extended periods...Motorcycling nirvana.

The road you traveled from Bateman's Bay towards Canberra, (Kings Highway), is one of our favorites. There's lots of little known back roads which we play on too. Don't get me wrong, you can get pinged anywhere but the chances are a bit less when there's half a dozen or so bikes traveling on less traveled back-roads...we are just tiny specs on a huge canvas. :152:

Cheers,
Smithy.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:39:08 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

dysfunctional