Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain Adjustment  (Read 15367 times)

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Chain Adjustment
« on: June 06, 2017, 06:30:48 PM »
As most will know, the chain adjustment is measured with the bike on the side stand which is inconvenient for adjusting the chain which I do with the bike on the centre stand and measure the 45-50mm deflection then.

So, if you adjust the chain and check the deflection on the centre stand, and then check on the deflection on the side stand will the deflection be:

the same as when on the centre stand ?
less than on the centre stand ?
more than on the centre stand ?
And if different how much different?

How do you adjust the chain ?
PSH

Offline Beastinblack

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Chester le st
Re: Chain Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 09:03:48 PM »
Less than when on centrestand

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
  • No matter where you go....... There you are
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: San Diego
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »
so when I adjust the chain I take a measurement on the side stand- to verify first whether it needs adjustment - duh.
pop on center stand and assuming the bike doesn't need much in the way of adjustment I make the smallest turn of the adjusting nut - say 1/8th of a turn to tighten and spend most of my time making sure that the adjustment is equal.  After tightening down I put on the ground - rock the bike back and forth in gear a couple of times and then back to neutral and check on side stand. 
I don't ever let the chain go from one extreme to the other -- not on the limits of being too tight or too loose.  That way the tiniest of adjustments means that I stay inside the proper range.  Yes, this means that I adjust it more often than if I had the chain at its maximum tightness and let it go to maximum looseness, but since I'm cleaning the chain prior to adjusting.... it doesn't take that much to do a quick tweak to the chain. 
The hardest part for me is getting the wheel nut to just the right tightness (or looseness) so that the wheel will move when I tighten the nut - but not move so much that it becomes a pain to get it tight again without throwing the adjustment out of whack.   

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 10:57:36 PM »
Interesting. As you say quite difficult to get it right
PSH

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 12:10:34 AM »
Easy really....if she's a tad loose, (or over the 50mm limit), just adjust one flat on each side....job done. One flat takes ~8-10mm out of the total slack measurement.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
  • No matter where you go....... There you are
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 12:44:42 AM »
you are correct 215 isn't going to hurt the bike, though I did start worrying a bit at 218. Had it moved to 220 I would probably have tried to stop and let the bike cool a bit.  However - the heat being pumped off the bike onto my leg - and the right leg more specifically begins to get to be too much.  I rode an FJR prior to the XR - and the 2005 and earlier FJR's were also known for their cooking your meat so to speak.  I had a 2006, so it was somewhat fixed by then.  the XR engine puts out a lot of power and that means heat and that can mean a scorched leg if there is little chance to cool down.  Kind of like roasting your shin and calf over a spit. 

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 12:51:02 AM »
Umm...I think you meant to put this into the "Running in new XR" thread..?  :192:  :001:

Not to worry, hopefully an admin will sort it for you..

Cheers,
Smithy.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '16 White XR
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 06:16:05 AM »
My service guy said that the stock XR chain is crap and stretches a lot. (He owns an XR and has a gold D.I.D. chain on his) He encouraged me to get a good chain. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:18:27 AM by Chicken Strip »
Raptor exhaust / HP sport seat / BM crash bars / Nav VI / Dunlop Q3+'s / Puig screen / Synto levers / TPX radar detector / D.I.D gold X chain / HVMP bar ends / RRG cooler guards / Wunderlich f&r fender extenders & big brake lever / Hepco and Becker stand enlarger / R&G f&r axle sliders / rim tape

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 06:38:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by Chicken Strip [+]
My service guy said that the stock XR chain is crap and stretches a lot. (He owns an XR and has a gold D.I.D. chain on his) He encouraged me to get a good chain.

Strange really as we have several guys with more than 20k kms on them...I suspect if they're looked after OK, they should be fine.

Smithy.

Offline Nwj70

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 03:18:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chicken Strip [+]

Chains don't "stretch"

dysfunctional