Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How do you check your coolant level?  (Read 4709 times)

DezynGuy and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ant

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
How do you check your coolant level?
« on: June 18, 2017, 06:37:15 PM »
Followed the book instructs but can,t see a damn thing with the fin in the way.

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
Re: How do you check your coolant level?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 10:54:53 PM »
Small flashlight, shine in on an angle. Works a treat.

Offline Ant

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 02:11:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by skapan [+]
Small flashlight, shine in on an angle. Works a treat.

It sure did thanks.

I held the bike level, engine cold and the coolant is on the minimum level line, good enough or should I add some coolant?

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:45:49 AM »
Always keep mine at max level on advise from BMW mechanic and these engines do run bloody hot. Made up a plastic bottle with a piece of pipe attached so topping up is a simple one minute job.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:47:37 AM by forestboy »

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 10:02:51 AM »
New bikes have dark coolant which makes checking much easier. Doesn't normally require any top up
PSH

Offline Spiceboy

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Bury St Edmunds
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 09:47:21 AM »
Just read your post and for myself I checked with my dealer as I thought mine low just after it was serviced AND you check the level on the side stand on an XR.
Cheers,
Charlie Spiceboy.

Offline Martyn B

• XR Pro
  • Sultan of Bling
  • Bike: S1000XR SE 2018
  • Town: Melksham, Wilts
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 08:40:17 AM »
Not used to having a liquid cooled bike so went to check it for the first time in 2500 miles... :155:

The manual says check from the front - the bloody fairing is in the way so do you have to take it off to check?  :187:

Looking though the side panels it's too bright to work out if there's anything in it or not. I'll have to take it into a dark place and shine a light on it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 09:17:02 AM by Martyn B »
What a long strange trip it's been...

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 10:22:55 AM »
Min and Max markers on the expansion tank refer to the correct coolant level based on engine temperature. Coolant expands when its hot and contracts when its cold. Like most things.

The radiator cap will naturally allow coolant to be expelled into the tank when the system pressure is high (i.e. when the thermostat is open) then draw it back in when the system pressure is drops (i.e. when the thermostat closes). If you monitor the level as the fans turn on and off, you should see the level rise and fall slowly.

If you fill it up to Max when the engine is cold then you run the risk of the expansion tank overflowing. Possibly not a problem in the UK where its always cold and wet and rainy and cold... but in Australia its not recommended. I overfilled mine when the water pump leaked and in the short trip to the dealer, it made a huge mess.

*Originally Posted by Ant [+]
It sure did thanks.

I held the bike level, engine cold and the coolant is on the minimum level line, good enough or should I add some coolant?

No.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:24:56 AM by Patrick Bateman »
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 12:01:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman [+]
Min and Max markers on the expansion tank refer to the correct coolant level based on engine temperature. Coolant expands when its hot and contracts when its cold. Like most things.

The radiator cap will naturally allow coolant to be expelled into the tank when the system pressure is high (i.e. when the thermostat is open) then draw it back in when the system pressure is drops (i.e. when the thermostat closes). If you monitor the level as the fans turn on and off, you should see the level rise and fall slowly.

If you fill it up to Max when the engine is cold then you run the risk of the expansion tank overflowing. Possibly not a problem in the UK where its always cold and wet and rainy and cold... but in Australia its not recommended. I overfilled mine when the water pump leaked and in the short trip to the dealer, it made a huge mess.

No.

I always fill the expansion tank up to the max level when the coolant is cold but it doesn't use any coolant and is usually stays at max. Manual says that the level should be between Max & Min marks with engine cold with bike 'on the stand' but doesn't say whether side or centre stand !

Not always cold and wet in the UK - that is just what the americans show on their films - 30 deg C and clear skys here today (and has been for the last week) and almost too hot to go out on the bike

:305:
PSH

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 07:45:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman [+]
Possibly not a problem in the UK where its always cold and wet and rainy and cold...

You could have said that at just about any other time in the last 20 years and been right but currently not now never mind the current heat wave but the dry spell before that we haven’t seen any serious rain since we came back from Le-Mans mid April.

I’ve been semi retired for over 10 years so have ridden the best part of a 1000 miles in the last few weeks including 250 today to mid Wales driven home by afternoon heat  :002:

I always knew the small PB screen would come in handy!!!