Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Should I buy or not ?  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Lighty

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR S.E
  • Town: Derby
Should I buy or not ?
« on: June 25, 2017, 08:46:11 PM »
Hi folks, as per my newbie post, I rode the S1000XR yesterday for the 1st time so joined here for advice.
Probably the worst place to ask for honest advice  :008:
I currently have a Multistrada Pikes Peak, which I have had for 4 years & tbh I still think it's an awesome bike, but maybe it's time to move on.
I have had plenty of annoying little issues with the Ducati & I hate things that break, so what's the Bimmer like ?
I had a HS before & had no issues at all, but like to go very fast, so the X-RAY caught my attention.
1st impressions were , turbine smooth compared to the Ducati, quickshifter, out of this world (every bike should have one).
Bad points for me are slightly budget finish in some areas , especially compared to the Ducati, but then it's a fair bit cheaper. Also lack of any colour scheme that I really like.
Overall impression was that it is very quick, mainly due to the quick shift . I think the Ducati has more grunt, but the test bike hit the limiter at 9k & I guess the last 2000 rpm make a bit of difference.
Anything anyone can add to help.
The heated grips & cruise are almost enough to sell it me on its own , + it seemed to handle even better than the Ducati, which surprised me.

Offline Bayman

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR
Re: Should I buy or not ?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 08:59:19 PM »
Just get one, life is too short to worry

Offline Lighty

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:10:25 PM »
Oh, I am not worried, just need to sell the Multi first, but shouldn't be too hard .

Offline Bayman

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 09:31:36 PM »
The XR is a brilliant bike I have only done 4.5k miles on it in 6 months,(Oct 2017) and to be honest I have not had any issues with it   However the dreaded "handlebar vibe" seems to have developed and is going back to the dealer for a check.  This vibe was not previously present but now it is so bad the view out of the rear mirrors is just a blur.  I am confident they can fix it.  It is a great handling bike and very easy to ride at any speed, it is happy going through towns at low speed as it is going fast whenever you can.  I do agree that the overall finish of the bike looks a bit cheaper than the Ducati especially the switch gear, which on the Ducati appear much more substantial.  But apart from that it is a great bike to live with, it truly is a "do anything" bike and if you were to get one I do not think you would regret it.

Offline Lighty

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 09:39:06 PM »
Thanks for the input, I noticed the vibes on the loan bike, which is odd saying how smooth the engine is. The Ducati is a dog at low speeds, but no vibes at all, strange.
It's not a deal breaker for me, I don't do huge distances & the cruise will help so I can take my right hand off once in a while, I always get a loose feeling in my fingers whatever the bike.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 12:38:49 AM »
The "vibes" do improve with a few miles on them....the vibes on my new '17 was quite noticeable for the first 1500 or so kms...but is much better now after ~3000kms, I hardly notice anymore and it's not intrusive at all, don't get me wrong, it still has a slight buzz at some rpm ranges, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was.
The MS does indeed have plenty of grunt...there's a few Dyno runs of both machines (on the same dyno on the same day) where the XR actually blows the MS away in real world running. The XR shows 150+ RWHP and the MS only shows ~130-ish...similar differences in torque too....but it's not always about outright power/torque.

But the dyno runs are subjective numbers and the proof is in the riding...Having ridden both on the same day I definitely thought the XR handled better and was much more "behaved" in the fueling department...although a big V-twin will always have trouble at low rpms. The MS was indeed very nice to ride and pulled hard and felt good...but the horror stories of bits falling off and random engine failures put me off. 

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Dana Point, CA.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 02:33:35 AM »
I've never ridden recent Ducati's (had a Paso 906, years back/ rode a friends Monster). That being said, my recent bikes have all been  BMW's, my last was a 2013 R1200R, followed by various S's and a GS, and they all had "vibes", which for me were not annoying and didn't get in the way of my riding enjoyment.

The XR (my first in-line 4 cylinder), is far and away the best "do-it-all" motorcycle I've had. My XR is a 2016. I found that its handlebar vibes were "never" a problem, until I read some reviews. However, because it was free/ BMW did the handlebar mod/ fix, which IMO lessened vibes by 30%/ 40% (which was never a problem in the first place).

Anyway, even if there are some vibes, the XR's brilliant motor/ suspension & handling/ all day riding comfort/ wonderful & seamless quick shifter, should make one forget about any vibe issue (its a motorcycle/ not a Volvo). In closing, not getting an XR because of "some/ little handlebar vibes", is like scratching Cindy Crawford off the list because she has mole on her face.
mike k

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 02:39:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by mike k [+]
In closing, not getting an XR because of "some/ little handlebar vibes", is like scratching Cindy Crawford off the list because she has mole on her face.

I've got a mole on my ar$e....will you be scratching me off your list..?  :192: :034:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Lighty

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 06:58:51 AM »
Thanks for all your input guys, pretty much as I was expecting.
I thought the BMW switchgear was better than the Ducatis  :001:
The Ducati menus are stupidly complicated & my clock,is not set even a couple of months after leaving the dealers ( they had battery off )
Never remember to take a quick look,at the manual to set it.
In my view you shouldn't need to & I am far from being tech shy.
Ducati has a small problem at the min, the proximity key stopped working on Saturday as I was taking it to BMW, so have to get that fixed before it can go. Certainly doubt I will be trading it in after the deal I was offered.
I will keep,looking on here at interesting articles  :002:

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 10:36:26 AM »
After several years on a GS which became increasingly boring I decided I needed something a bit more exciting. So after much searching I decided on the new 1200 MS had a test ride at Riders in Cardiff and loved it but on talking to 2 owners of the same bike outside Riders in the car park I was put off by their MS ownership horror stories. As a very high mileage user the thought of an unreliable bike meant I needed to re-think, while I was doing this BMW released the S1XR. Anyway a week later I test ride a new 2015 S1XR with only 1500 miles on the clock so still restricted revs but I absolutely fell in love with it. Test ride ended up being 5 hours and I ordered one within 2 days.
Now just 23 months old 29000 miles later and toured 15 different countries I can honestly say its the best bike I've owned in over 40 years of biking.
Didn't have a vibe problem until I fitted bar risers then it was horrible but I need them because of a back problem. Eventually fitted HVMP bar ends, hand guard extenders and filled the bars with silicone this with a few thousand miles on the clock virtually eliminated all the vibes. Not saying I don't have any vibes because there is a very small rev window at which it's still there but it's so small and the vibes are so minor I actually have to look for them now or I never notice them. On my longer trips I regularly do 600 plus mile days with no issues, only other mods a Vario screen and a layer of memory foam added to the seat.
Still like the look and style and sound of the MS but head rules heart and says it's just not reliable enough for me.
Hope that helps
Edit
Should add I had the mod done on the rubbers by BMW because it was free and it actually made the vibes worse maybe because they removed my bar brace but when refitted it calmed back down, my advice if you don't have a vibe issue don't have the mod done.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:40:20 AM by forestboy »