Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Touring  (Read 1603 times)

Offline barnsyuk

• XR Member
  • S1000XR, 1941 Harley Davidson UL.
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: UK South Coast
Touring
« on: June 30, 2017, 09:36:15 AM »
Well time to see how the XR manages a European tour. Setting of today for Romania from England via Spa, Austria, Hungary etc. Coming from a K1600gt that was comfy to ride all day and could go 260 miles before it needed filling the XR is going to be different, I must remember this and stop comparing. I'm sure my bladder will appreciate the fuel stops every 130-50 miles or so but then that's an excuse to drink more coffee..

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: Touring
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 10:04:15 AM »
Just come back from Germany - you should get 180 miles per tank, otherwise a good tourer - hit the autoroute, set cruise for 80 MPH and turn on the music and the miles are munched away. I did 475 miles on one day with no problems. I do have the HP seat which is more comfortable
PSH

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 11:38:19 AM »
Use mine for touring all the time just come back from a 4000 mile trip and in April did a 2400 mile trip. Solo or with a pillion find it more comfortable than the GS which I could only ride long distance with the aid of a Airhawk. Longest day on my XR so far is just under 700 miles thats a stiff ass whatever your riding.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 06:42:48 PM »
Just back from 3,200 miles in France, and was getting 200 miles out of a tank - comfortably, either on the autoroute, or days out.   

Found the (low) seat as comfortable as the R1200GSA which preceded it, and cruise control is great for exercising slightly cramped joints

Downside?   It is slightly less easy for low-speed start/stop in cities than the GSA------------  otherwise - it is an absolute hoot to ride and could just be a 'do it all' bike.

Offline sevenup

• XR Member
  • Town: Helensburgh
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 06:13:39 AM »
Just back from 3500 miles in France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland. About 49mpg mainly avoiding motorways and toll roads but including passes. Bike fully loaded with equipment. Only downside is development of Carpal Tunnel from vibration on bars I think. I too came from a k 16gt. That was turbine smooth all day tourer. This is a rocket ship that eats rear tyres ( if you had Rosso 2). I will probably go for a different tyre for next year (rosso 3?). Never found the seat too uncomfortable until last day from Nancy bmw dealer to Coquelles for the train. The bike is a 2017 version now at approx 7500 miles

dysfunctional