Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2017 XR with Akra headers  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Shaolinfist

• XR Junior
2017 XR with Akra headers
« on: July 05, 2017, 10:46:59 AM »
Hi forum, I am in the process of purchasing a 2017 XR but my dealer tells me that I cannot fit the Akra header pipes without a fuelling mod which would invalidate my warranty. Can anyone here offer any advice? I want to get rid of the cat for more noise....

Phil

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '16 White XR
  • Town: San Diego
Re: 2017 XR with Akra headers
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 05:36:04 PM »
From what I've read, you can fit the headers without the tune and it will run fine.  To get the maximum benefit, you eventually need a tune.
Raptor exhaust / HP sport seat / BM crash bars / Nav VI / Dunlop Q3+'s / Puig screen / Synto levers / TPX radar detector / D.I.D gold X chain / HVMP bar ends / RRG cooler guards / Wunderlich f&r fender extenders & big brake lever / Hepco and Becker stand enlarger / R&G f&r axle sliders / rim tape

Offline Shaolinfist

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 05:40:59 PM »
According to my dealer because of the euro 4 changes to the 2017 model the ECU can no longer automatically compensate and requires a fuelling mod.

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 09:28:25 PM »
Your dealer correct and if you don't believe him/her check the either Akrapovic website or the UK Akra importers website they will both confirm you need a third party fuelling mod.

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '16 White XR
  • Town: San Diego
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 12:53:33 AM »
My bad, I was thinking of the 2016's.
Raptor exhaust / HP sport seat / BM crash bars / Nav VI / Dunlop Q3+'s / Puig screen / Synto levers / TPX radar detector / D.I.D gold X chain / HVMP bar ends / RRG cooler guards / Wunderlich f&r fender extenders & big brake lever / Hepco and Becker stand enlarger / R&G f&r axle sliders / rim tape

Online Winger

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 11:02:53 AM »
Doesn't matter what year the XR is the same applies.

Offline Shaolinfist

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 11:32:08 AM »
I am pretty sure pre euro 4 the ECU was able to auto compensate for the change to the exhaust headers, its only since the 2017 changes that a fuelling mod is required.

Online Winger

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »
I'll be polite and say it isn't true all this 'Able to compensate' is the stuff that is trotted by those trying to stick a plaster on the problem when it needs Stitches.

Compensate in closed loop?? Hmmm maybe but don't bet the house or should that be your motor 😀 but open loop not a snowballs chance in hell hence why Akra put the health warning on their headers.

Of course the next line that gets trotted out is 'Why have some BM dealers fitted them' simple answer they don't know WTF they are doing and they didn't read the small print either.

It's why I have a set of headers for my XR under the work bench and their still not fitted because the solution I want still isn't available and as I intend keeping the bike a long time I'm in no rush.

Offline Shaolinfist

• XR Junior
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 02:56:45 PM »
There are a lot of people out there who have been running the Akra headers without a fuelling mod and I've not heard of any problems. I dont see why its so hard to believe BMW when they say the ECU can compensate for a +5% or -5% difference especially given that many people have tried it already.

Online Winger

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 03:05:09 PM »
If folk want to ignore Akarapovics advice considering I've not seen such about any of their other pipe that's up to them.

dysfunctional