Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello from the Black Country  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Sibbo46

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr Sport SE
  • Town: Dudley
Hello from the Black Country
« on: July 07, 2017, 06:56:48 AM »
Hi all, just bought a 2015 Sport SE from an MT10

Offline Elvisto

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Audley, S-o-T
Re: Hello from the Black Country
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 07:02:07 AM »
 :400: Sibbo,
Adventure before dementia

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 02:09:37 PM »
Interesting change what was the thinking behind that  :001:

Offline Sibbo46

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »
Hi, I have a few bikes one of which is a Tuono Factory, I thought the MT 10 would replace it but overall I think wasn't as good. Like everyone I was blown away by the engine but after a while I realised 1. The engine is just too much, 2 the brakes and suspension aren't in the same league. Despite the lack of electronic aids and a bit less power the Tuono is easier to ride at the same speeds, but probably it's worst feature was fuel consumption. I expect a litre bike to be thirsty when giving it a bit, but this was like going out drinking with Oliver Reed even if you were riding like a nun. First time I have ever had range anxiety.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 05:43:08 PM »
Interesting always thought that's the motor Yamaha would use when they build an XR competitor obviously work to do on fuel consumption.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 07:26:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sibbo46 [+]
Hi, I have a few bikes one of which is a Tuono Factory, I thought the MT 10 would replace it but overall I think wasn't as good. Like everyone I was blown away by the engine but after a while I realised 1. The engine is just too much, 2 the brakes and suspension aren't in the same league. Despite the lack of electronic aids and a bit less power the Tuono is easier to ride at the same speeds, but probably it's worst feature was fuel consumption. I expect a litre bike to be thirsty when giving it a bit, but this was like going out drinking with Oliver Reed even if you were riding like a nun. First time I have ever had range anxiety.

I looked seriously at the MT-10 as a kind of do-it-all bike, able to handle every day use and the annual jaunt down to the alps/Pyrenees/picos (with suitable panniers).  Came very close to buying one, until I started hearing horror-stories about tank range.   120m on a good day!    I know of one person who rated it (when travelling solo) on an extensive tour - but while that is just about sufferable on your own - your mates won't thank you for stoppages every 90 miles on the autoroutes.

Sure - in the twisties the MT10 might be a slightly faster bike (with maybe upgraded suspension) - but as an overall package, the S1000XR has it well and truly licked.

Offline Sibbo46

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 11:15:06 PM »
Having had the XR for a couple of weeks now I agree it is a far superior package as standard, but so it should be at the price difference. I still maintain the MT has a better engine and I could have 'fixed' the rear suspension fairly cheaply but I could never have fixed the fuel consumption / tank range issue.

Offline Sibbo46

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 11:19:59 PM »
Winger, I think they just made a big mistake with the tank capacity. The engine was so good I could almost forgive the consumption rate but not the range issue.

dysfunctional