Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The 5 year rule for helmets  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Ant

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
The 5 year rule for helmets
« on: July 11, 2017, 02:49:27 AM »
Anyone subscribe to the recommendation that you replace your helmet every 5 years? Manufacturers & snell push this theory which makes me suspect but then again I've been eyeballin a new Shoei RF1200 which I don't really need but sure couuld use an excuse to pull the trigger on one. :002:

Offline Karlb

• XR Pro
  • My Life is a Blur
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Crockett, TX
Re: The 5 year rule for helmets
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 11:18:57 AM »
I usually swap out every 5 years. figure by then progress has been made in helmets just like everything else
2016 Red Sled

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »
Very rarely get 5 years out of helmet mine are usually knackered at 3 years
Ride nearly everyday  and all year round.
Having said that the wife usually gets 6 or 7 years out of her helmets.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 04:11:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Karlb [+]
I usually swap out every 5 years. figure by then progress has been made in helmets just like everything else

Had a conversation the other day about exactly the opposite bought a top of the range Arai in 96(RX7) then went to a Corsair which even used the same visor then RX7GP which did use a different visor but frankly there is little between them.

The latest RX7V certainly has a wider aperture and the inside is different but in this day and age of heated seats to electric suspension helmets are Stone Age.

The only thing that I have come across that has had any effect on my riding is Arai produce a double glazed visor a league better than a Pinlock and is just impossible to steam up but is still not available to the general public.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 04:38:16 PM »
I am happy to swap mine out every five years. The lining has worn in that time, it has absorbed sweat and no matter how much it gets cleaned, it is less pristine and not such a nice environment for my head.

Offline Elvisto

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Audley, S-o-T
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »
I do think it makes a difference on how many miles you do, I have a couple of helmets and one of them is a BMW flip front I've had for almost 5 years so I must have done around 50,000 miles in it may be more, but it's getting a bit tatty and smelly  :016: so I've ordered a new LS 2 Flip Front ( can't get the new BMW 7) should be here next week, I'll let you know how it performs,
My other helmet I bought a few months ago Schuberth E1, I've had loads of problems with it, and won't be buying another one,
Adventure before dementia

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 10:39:50 AM »
I've no qualms about using each of my two RX7s (one the GP model) for 8 yrs or so - as they are used in rotation, and linings washed regularly.   On a previous RX7 - I bought new linings for it (slighly thicker than original) - which breathed new life into it.

If you look after the helmet - no reason why 8+ yrs isn't achievable (for an Arai at least)

Offline Sibbo46

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr Sport SE
  • Town: Dudley
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 06:40:03 PM »
Being used every day most helmets are worn out by 5 years and the cost of refurbishment ( visor, linings etc) is not normally cost viable. Or you can normally by the same model almost at the same cost.

Offline DonVulpes

• XR Member
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 06:48:15 AM »
If they're used regularly, then yes.

Have a Neotec I tour in and that's seen more sweat than I care to imagine. That's four years old now and definitely past it's prime. Hoping Shoei do an update soon.

My NXR is a summer lid, so that's in much better nick and stored in it's bag, so still pristine 3 years later and easily got another 3 in it.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 09:21:34 AM »
@Elivsto What problems have you had with your E1, other than the peak vibrating and being pretty much useless and the the blanking plates when you remove said visor falling off and getting lost :-)