Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Warning - chain length  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Sibbo46

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000xr Sport SE
  • Town: Dudley
Warning - chain length
on: July 15, 2017, 10:42:44 PM
Hi all, just beware if you are planning to change ( or get a non BMW dealer to change ) your chain and sprockets. It appears that a few of the aftermarket suppliers have the wrong chain length in there catalogues (118 links vs the correct 128). My dealer ordered me a Renthal set from B&C express and they showed me the incorrect listing. They also checked another of their suppliers who also had the incorrect 118 link chain listed.

Offline cas

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Johnstone
Re: Warning - chain length
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 03:22:03 PM
Yep so true everyone saying 118 links but it has 128.
I got a DID Gold Xring chain and JT sprockets for £98 inc postage from Hunters Motorcycles in Newcastle.
www.huntersmotorcycles.co.uk 
Great service at a great price. Give them a call on 01912618592

Offline Sibbo46

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 05:51:22 PM
I'll leave it to the dealer to sort out. They were good enough to volunteer to fit new tyres and chain / sprockets as part of the deal. It was already the cheapest SE on the net so I was amazed at the deal. They also knocked another £200 off as the pannier rails were missing (which I replaced at far less cost from a kind gentle on this forum). Also did me a lifetime warranty and 4 year service plan for £650. I'm well chuffed  😀

Offline Boneman1

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Southampton
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 09:10:36 PM
Hi Sibbo46
Can you give me more information on the service plan and lifetime warranty
Thanks
Anand
Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:12:23 PM by Boneman1

Offline Sibbo46

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 11:01:56 PM
Hi, it's offered by CMC when u buy from them. Underwritten by themselves not a 3rd party insurer with only consumables excluded. Due to a previous bad experience with BMW main dealer I made a point of confirming EDA, switchgear etc are covered  The only condition is that CMC must service the bike, but like I said at £650 for 4 services it's a bargain. My first service with them will be the  18k which BMW quoted me around £700 for alone. They have an fully trained ex BMW tech in their workshop.

Offline Sibbo46

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 11:03:08 PM
ESA not EDA 😂

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 12:15:56 PM
seems this is still a thing and I am currently waiting for a well known retailer to get back to me via Ebay, as they have declined to speak to me directly to resolve the matter, as it was purchased via Ebay.

Caveat emptor.

I will reserve naming the company until the matter is resolved. At this stage, just a warning to check the listing says 128 links if ordering online. The listing I used is still active and states 118 so take care.

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 08:27:58 PM
I thought it was common knowledge that the XR had 128 links as standard. :084:

I don't trust anyone so I do all my own mechanical work and have no-one to blame but myself if something isn't right.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 09:00:44 PM
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
I thought it was common knowledge that the XR had 128 links as standard. :084:

I don't trust anyone so I do all my own mechanical work and have no-one to blame but myself if something isn't right.

Smithy.

the problem is with a parts supplier not a workshop

when you order a part that is labelled "S1000XR 2015" from a reputable supplier you expect the parts to be correct

I imagine you buy parts rather than fashion them yourself in your own workshop so you must be trusting someone in a supply chain.

Anyway, the trader has admitted the error and is arranging for a return and refund. Sadly they do not have a 128 in stock so that will have to be sourced elsewhere to get the bike ready for an outing on the bank holiday weekend.

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cumbria
Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 09:08:19 PM
*Originally Posted by wessie [+]
seems this is still a thing and I am currently waiting for a well known retailer to get back to me via Ebay, as they have declined to speak to me directly to resolve the matter, as it was purchased via Ebay.

Caveat emptor.

I will reserve naming the company until the matter is resolved. At this stage, just a warning to check the listing says 128 links if ordering online. The listing I used is still active and states 118 so take care.

Is it SHITTYLINK?   :164:

dysfunctional