Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Removing the front beak and headlights  (Read 2087 times)

Offline barnsyuk

• XR Member
  • S1000XR, 1941 Harley Davidson UL.
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: UK South Coast
Removing the front beak and headlights
« on: July 20, 2017, 01:46:27 PM »
Has anyone removed all the plastics and headlights etc from the front of the XR, if so how difficult was it? is there anything I should be aware of? does anyone know where I can find an electronic version of the workshop manual? or could someone send me the relevant pages for dismantling the front end.

Thanks in advance.

Offline KSW

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: North Yorkshire
Re: Removing the front beak and headlights
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 09:10:12 PM »
barnsyuk if you acquire this info I would also be interested ... doesn't seem to be anything on any websites apart from the side fairing removals etc.
Thanks.

Offline foxracer

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: London
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 07:52:39 PM »
I'd also like to know this. I tried last weekend and ended up in a sea of plastic panels and bolts. Gave up in the end :(

Offline barnsyuk

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 01:04:13 PM »
Well I did it. I asked the service desk to print me off the relevant pages from the workshop manual, which they did. I started the job at 4pm and had it back together by 11 pm (sh#t night on TV) as long as you are methodical and keep all the screws with the right bits it was fairly easy. The windscreen has to be removed, then the screen carrier and speedo, you have to cut the cable ties holding the cables in place but basically about 7 screws. Remove the side panels from the screen carrier (1 screw, inside, either side) remove the side panel and take out one crew either side. then under the dash toward the steering damper take out another 2 screws then finally the one on top in the middle. unplug the speedo and it should all come out as one. Then follow the instructions to remove the front plastics and headlights but pretty logical, way to many screw to describe. No need to remove any of the side panels around the tank. re fitting is a reversal but don't forget to plug the speedo back in, I did!!  Pic shows the front plastics and headlights removed. I also took the opportunity to put some brighter bulbs in and found out the high beam won't work unless the speedo / dash is plugged in.

Offline foxracer

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: London
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 01:12:01 PM »
Amazing, thanks for sharing! Any way you can scan the workshop manual pages please? :)

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 02:00:13 PM »
I'm more intrigued as to why not how  :002:

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 11:47:02 PM »
Probably swapping panels for that naff carbon stuff.  Jealous.

Offline barnsyuk

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 02:01:32 PM »
As to why is a little embarrassing. I made a schoolboy error and didn't deploy my side stand plate, the bike sunk in soft gravel landing on my mates XR that had also sunk. The windscreen carrier got broken and I later discovered the front carrier was also broken in a couple of places. Was not happy as this happened the first night of a trip to Romania, I zip tied the carrier together and the front of the bike wobbled for the next 3500 miles but held together. So I has to strip the front end to replace the front carrier and windscreen assembly....

Offline barnsyuk

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 03:51:52 PM »
And the front carrier

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham