Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Scottoiler ...?  (Read 6556 times)

Offline stupot1968

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex
Scottoiler ...?
« on: July 09, 2015, 01:29:54 PM »
Just wondering has anybody fitted or considered fitting one ? if so any pics of location ... am considering doing so but not sure how n where ....

Also seen on Scottoiler site there is a BMW Scottoiler .... for F800Gs etc ... bet thats expensive ....

Offline PeterR

• XR Member
  • Bike: White S1000XR
  • Town: Hertfordshire
Re: Scottoiler ...?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 04:40:10 PM »
My previous bike was a Triumph Explorer, shaft drive, and I got used to not having any hassle over chain lubing whilst touring and the lack of oil splatter. So when I ordered the XR I decided to fit an automatic oiler, as well as the unit having to work and do the job efficiently I am also concerned about the aesthetics. After researching the options on the web I purchased an automatic Tutoro. To date, only 400 miles, it seems to work perfectly and I believe it also looks quite acceptable and sort of blends in. I need to get some neater pipe clamps, as a stop gap I used twisted copper wire. The tape is on there so I can mark the oil level during the set up stage to finely adjust the flow to lubricate without causing too much oil fling. So far so good and I am please with it.

http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 07:01:44 PM »
many of the KTM poofters like the tuturo oiler

I will do mine the proper way
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline S1KXR-rider

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1KXR-Red!
  • Town: Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 08:34:05 PM »
never been a fan of the scotoiler devices as I don't tour (yet !) I'd rather carry a tin of chain cleaner, chain lube and a couple of rags and spend 5 mins each eve with the bike on the center stand.

Offline PeterR

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 08:49:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Redrick [+]
many of the KTM poofters like the tuturo oiler

I will do mine the proper way

What is the "proper way"?

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 10:49:33 PM »
See the post above yours !
Chain lube after a ride particularly if wet ( none of that dry lube stuff as that is sh#t in the rain ) and give the chain a good clean regularly

I have not tried it but a mate uses the castrol stuff and claims there is no fling from it
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 01:57:18 AM »
Good info from all.....thanks!!   :028:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
  • Chasing sunsets at 90 MPH.
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Morgan Hill
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 02:49:35 AM »
I never cared for the idea of a drip style chain maintenance, it does not take that much time to do a quick clean and proper lube.

I finally got this setup as I also came back from riding a shift driven Explorer the last couple years.

1) Kerosene in a hand held pump sprayer. Clean all greases\oils and not attack seals or other bike components.
2) Quality chain lube, I use Motul road formula.
3) Proper lube applicator to keep it on end links and not hosed on everything. Grease Ninja  http://www.greaseninja.com/
4) Use a 2' x 3' piece of cardboard, why hose chain lube on your driveway or bike.

https://youtu.be/wJW0ItMg9JE

Offline Surfinghulk

• XR Junior
  • Town: Hemel Hempstead
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 01:59:56 PM »
Hi Guys

I also fitted a Tutoro oiler - I've had an oiler of some description fitted to bikes since about 2000, and have never had to replace a chain/sprockets.  Last bike was a Speed Triple - 8,000 miles and never had to adjust the chain, F800R previously, 6,700 miles never had to adjust the chain.  Some years ago, a Hayabusa - 19,000 miles, adjusted the chain twice.  The numbers speak for themselves.
I always wash my bike after each ride, usually with Muc off, and the oiler does the rest.
I've attached a couple of pics, because I don't think it's the prettiest thing, so mounted it under the seat with the pipe running behind the swingarm. Unless you look very closely, you can't see it fitted. I'll also adjust the flow over the next few hundred miles, and then tune it depending on winter/summer riding. 
Hope this helps

Offline PeterR

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 02:14:50 PM »
Great idea for placement, I never thought about putting it under the seat! I'm new to automatic oilers and all install pictures on the Tutoro website are out in the open. I do not particularly like the look of my placement but thought it was the best option, until now, so I will be moving it at the weekend, thanks for the information.

dysfunctional