Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Scottoiler ...?  (Read 9136 times)

Offline Surfinghulk

• Ex Member
  • XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Hemel Hempstead
Re: Scottoiler ...?
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 03:11:14 PM »
You're welcome

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 10:52:35 PM »
Thanks you guys for this info.  I've been riding non-chain rides for so long this refresher is truly helpful!   :305:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline MikeH

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: STONE, STAFFS.
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 06:24:33 PM »
I fitted the electronic Scottoiler to mine.  It has done an excellent job over the first 2,500 miles.  Have used these before and they pay for themselves with the extended life of the first chain (although this electronic job is not cheap to buy, twice that of the vacuum original).
Scottoiler were ace in helping with pictures and installation.  Certainly a satisfied customer here.

Offline Rhincodon

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR SE
  • Town: Greatham, Hants
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 04:52:03 PM »
Which model did you buy for y ours? I see there are options now and my last one was a vacuum one!

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 05:40:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rhincodon [+]
Which model did you buy for y ours? I see there are options now and my last one was a vacuum one!

have a look at these https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/

very simple design that just works. Easy to fit, no electrics or vacuum needed.

I had one on my Tracer for 2 years and the bike still had the OE chain at 15,000 miles when sold.

I might fit one to my XR as I will be replacing the chain & sprockets over winter.

Offline JerryG

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 09:45:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Redrick [+]
See the post above yours !
Chain lube after a ride particularly if wet ( none of that dry lube stuff as that is sh#t in the rain ) and give the chain a good clean regularly

I have not tried it but a mate uses the castrol stuff and claims there is no fling from it

I agree with Redrick. I lubed the chain on my 2017 RR after every full day of riding (~300 miles, ~500 km); I cleaned the chain after dirty rides or whenever I washed the whole bike. The chain lasted 22,400 miles (36,049 km) when I replaced it because the 10 rivet distance was longer within the rider manual's spec (max 5.7 in, 144 mm). Most of these miles were aggressive mountain riding in the US Smoky Mountains.

I just bought a 2021 XR with M Endurance Chain (M colors). What the Marketing Team giveth ("Maintenance-Free"), the Rider's Manual Team taketh away ("Caring for the low-maintenance drive chain...with M Endurance Chain"). In this case, low-maintenance means "cleaned and lubricated in the course of the annual service interval"...with the rest of the story being...and "In the interest of optimum service life, the low-maintenance chain can be additionally lubricated using a chain lubricant suitable for low-maintenance chains"...as well as..."Perform lubrication at shorter intervals if there is above average load from riding in salty, dusty or dirty conditions." I plan to lube and clean my XR's M Endurance Chain just as I did with my RR. It will be interesting to see how many miles I get.

Offline Mcfly

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne FL
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 03:02:03 AM »
I went for a manual chain oiler.  The Cobrra Nemo 2. Fill it with 80w-90 gear oil,
and give it a half turn after each fuel tank fill.  Rainy days use a bit more.
The reservoir holds about 2000 miles worth of oil before refilling is needed. 

Nice thing about this oiler is no electrical connections.  Oil is fed pnuematically when you
turn the cap!  Downside.... you do get some flick.

dysfunctional