Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: If you had a choice...HID headlight replacement or LED Auxiliary spot  (Read 2159 times)

Offline shaggyshack

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Poole
If you had the choice and only enough money for one or the other, would you:
a) replace your stock headlight bulbs with HID's or
b) leave the headlights alone and add auxiliary LED spot lights as DRL's?
My thoughts are that if I replace the stock headlights with HID's I could do without the automatic DRL and have better daytime road presence(due to enhanced dip beam from HID) and better night vision for the same reasons? The only thing about night riding being the directional nature of the headlights as they are fitted to the fairing and therefore not giving good vision into corners? Your thoughts?
Shaggy :087:
Used to be a boxer, but I'm alright now!

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
Leave the lights alone....go external.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Town: Kildare
I bought HID's off these guys - http://www.hid50.com
They have a Canbus friendly version & a 'fast start' main beam so you can flash people while they're still in the same county  :015:
I went with the 35w low beam & the 50w high beam. And what an amazing difference it makes.
I can't remember the price but it was well worth it. Tell him you heard about him here & you'll get a few quid off

I've since bought & fitted a pair of LED aux spots. But being a mechanical numpty I couldn't get a switched live so had the garage connect them. Bike is currently enroute to The Fatherland so I haven't seen what they're like but anything that helps visibility (see & be seen) has gotta be good.

Offline shaggyshack

• XR Member
*Originally Posted by Jockser [+]
They have a Canbus friendly version & a 'fast start' main beam so you can flash people while they're still in the same county  :015:
I went with the 35w low beam & the 50w high beam. And what an amazing difference it makes.
I can't remember the price but it was well worth it. Tell him you heard about him here & you'll get a few quid off

I've since bought & fitted a pair of LED aux spots. But being a mechanical numpty I couldn't get a switched live so had the garage connect them. Bike is currently enroute to The Fatherland so I haven't seen what they're like but anything that helps visibility (see & be seen) has gotta be good.

Cheers Jockser, thats great, very helpful, thank you!

Offline Spooch

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: GRANTHAM
Re: If you had a choice...HID headlight replacement or LED Auxiliary spot
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and only had my XR a few weeks so still new to me, have read with interest your thread, how easy was it to fit the headlight HID conversions, priced them up for high and low beam the same as yourself at a cost of £110. Seems a relatively cheap upgrade and less hassle of fitting DRL's which arealso on my list of things to do when funds allow.
Regards
Paul

*Originally Posted by Jockser [+]

If your not going to thrash it leave it in the garage !!

Offline shaggyshack

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 07:09:50 AM »
If you contact Les at hid50.com he will match you up with exactly the right lights for your needs. I just asked for his recommendations. Very happy with the product and not too demanding to fit. You will need to cut a hole into the headlight dust covers, but they are only £13 to replace if you need to revert back to OEM for resale etc? Finding good places to mount the ballast is probably the tricky part, but there are plenty of options in and around the fairings.

Offline foxracer

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: London
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 05:58:22 PM »
I just fitted both! Auxilliary lights & front/rear bullets from BikeVis, and LED bulbs from Cyclops. Suffice it to say that no one can ever say they didn't see me coming :)

Fitted in conjunction with switches, so I can turn each set on/off independently.

Offline shaggyshack

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 07:56:39 PM »

*Originally Posted by foxracer [+]
I just fitted both! Auxilliary lights & front/rear bullets from BikeVis, and LED bulbs from Cyclops. Suffice it to say that no one can ever say they didn't see me coming :)

Fitted in conjunction with switches, so I can turn each set on/off independently.

:152:Good work

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 12:24:13 AM »
Auxiliary - every time.

Stock lights on all cars and bikes are designed to meet local design rules and there will always be a maximum horizontal beam height at a measured distance. As soon as the bike leans over, the horizontal beam moves with it and you have poor illumination into the corner. Decent auxiliary LED lamps do not conform these rules so you have a full spread of light no matter what the lean angle.

I am using two 25w LED lamps, run by a Skene IQ275 controller - this allows the lamps to be run at a duty cycle rather than a fixed voltage, allowing programmable light intensity for low/high beam operation. It also has an alert function for oncoming idiots.

The whole system runs off the aux power port on the front left and requires a wire to be tapped into the high beam power wire to provide the controller with a signal. LED intensity is controlled by the high beam switch and is easy to activate when oncoming traffic appears - which is good because the 25W LEDs are extremely bright!

The entire setup is roughly cost around $200 AUD and is comparable to the Clearwater Krista, but over $1000 less. Sure it doesn't have CAN integration but really, once they are setup, you wont be adjusting them constantly with the wonderwheel.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:31:32 AM by Patrick Bateman »
I need to return some videotapes.