Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Piggy back additional running lights to existing DRL  (Read 1176 times)

Offline shaggyshack

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Poole
Piggy back additional running lights to existing DRL
« on: July 25, 2017, 07:25:08 AM »
Morning All!
I'm getting to be a regular now  :164:
I've purchased the HID kit from 'HID50' as recommended by @jockser to improve the general lighting and also purchased some 'Bikevis' LED's to supplement the centre DRL and create a bigger lighting footprint for daytime visibility.
Now...I'm happy enough to fit the HID's, however fiddly that may turn out to be? But I'd like to piggyback the additional LED's onto the existing wiring/switching for the DRL so that they can be used automatically as per the factory light. So, can this be done, has anybody done it? If not, what is your preferred switching for the additional DRL's? Are they on all the time or switched as required?
Thanks again all...
Shaggy
Used to be a boxer, but I'm alright now!

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
Re: Piggy back additional running lights to existing DRL
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 12:19:20 PM »
I would use the DRL switching as a signal to a relay and then a dedicated separate source switched by that relay for the additional lighting. Would not want to risk melting the wiring from any over load or extra current draw. But that's just me.