Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 300 miles in , impressions.  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Lighty

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR S.E
  • Town: Derby
300 miles in , impressions.
« on: July 30, 2017, 07:33:00 PM »
Decided today to make an effort & get the bike ran in, so I can get the confounded limiter taken off.
There are some things I haven't been gelling with on the bike , so I took a well known trip (to me) to my Mums house, it's 200 miles there & back & the weather gave me a window to do it in after a solid week of rain.
I left this morning at 6.30 am, roads much wetter than I expected, but now worries I just go a little steadier.
I left the bike in dynamic, as I like the noise on overrun  :001:
Compared to my Multistrada, the BMW feels quite lacking in the mid range, and the rev limiter at 9K stops me from entering the power zone, so not sure what power you get during this phase ?
Despite this lack of grunt, it's almost completely made up for by the quickshift, which is absolutely mega, can't imagine owning a bike without it now.
The BMW has nowhere near the engine braking of the twin duke, you could literally ride that bike for miles without using the brakes , so riding the BMW is quite different, it obviously needs loads of revs & lots of brakes, good job the Brembos are excellent.
1st set of traffic lights onto a main dual carriageway, a McLaren 650 swaps lanes & pulls up next to me  :012:
I decide to give it a go , but Iam well aware that he would annihilate me if he tried .
As I accelerate in 2nd or 3rd, the back of the bike goes very sideways !
I would've shat myself, but it was so fast I didn't have time, bloke in the car must've thought I was either very lucky or a MotoGP champ  :046:
Really shocked me, because the Ducati would never have done that, I guess the traction saved me, but wasn't aware of it doing anything tbh. Perhaps you learned guys can enlighten me.
I was a bit cautious after this, but managed to make it the 100 miles in 1hr 19. Not my fastest, but not bad Considering The damp & with restricted performance.
I have become expert at keeping it down to 115, just before the limit in top.
The bike is quite low geared & the engine just has to scream, but already got used to that.
I normally have to stop for fuel on the way on the Ducati, but the BM made it all the way, perhaps not exceeding 9000 rpm makes it more economical, I did ride the Duke very hard & could empty the tank in about 60 miles. The BMW registered 40 mpg this morning , thanks to a couple of 50mph sections on the motorway.
The return trip was much more fun & completely dry, so,I was able to start to lean on the bike as hard as I ever can. Really expected to get a peg down a few times, but it didn't happen. Just about got rid of my chicken strips though  :164:.
I think the bike will be ballistic when I get the extra revs, I have found myself riding it too fast a few times before today, I think it's the quick shift & lack of engine braking, but just about mastered it now. The bar vibration is not really a problem a si rarely go slow enough to get it  :038:
Never had a bike with cruise before, & i will never have another without ,it's amazing for me as I suffer a numb right hand, this has gone now as I can rest my hand anytime I like.
The only down side I am finding is that the bike doesn't really like bumpy roads, it crashes over nasty bits quite a lot and one bump virtually winded me today. I think the Ducati was much more accomplished in this department.
Also not decided wether it's best to use the drl of dipped headlamps, the Ducati had twin Drls & they were very prominent,I feel a bit invisible on the BMW.
Anyway, not sure these ramblings are of any interest, after all, most of you already know this stuff.
I might give an update after the service. I have done 500 miles now after today, so will book the service for Friday hopefully . I should do another 100 this week.

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '16 White XR
  • Town: San Diego
Re: 300 miles in , impressions.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 01:22:35 AM »
Was the road dry when you drag raced the McLaren?
Raptor exhaust / HP sport seat / BM crash bars / Nav VI / Dunlop Q3+'s / Puig screen / Synto levers / TPX radar detector / D.I.D gold X chain / HVMP bar ends / RRG cooler guards / Wunderlich f&r fender extenders & big brake lever / Hepco and Becker stand enlarger / R&G f&r axle sliders / rim tape

Offline Lighty

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 05:34:03 AM »
No was still pretty wet through .

Offline Norbs

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 08:35:12 AM »
Were your tyres fully scrubbed in before you had a go at the McClaren? I think most bikes would lose grip with damp roads, new tyres and a fistfull of revs.

20 litres of fuel in 60 miles? Have you made a will?

Offline Lighty

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 11:07:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Norbs [+]
Were your tyres fully scrubbed in before you had a go at the McClaren? I think most bikes would lose grip with damp roads, new tyres and a fistfull of revs.

20 litres of fuel in 60 miles? Have you made a will?
Hah , no but I would do 130 on it for about 50 odd miles & that sure empties the tank. Hadex cameras will soon put a stop to that :(
Yes the tyre was scrubbed & should've been reasonably warm , I had done about 10 mile at 70/80 mph.
It wasn't a race , I just pulled off reasonably briskly, which will nip you away from most situations, I was way below what I thought was a risky amount of throttle.
Is the traction control very lazy in Dynamic mode ? This is more my point.
I never changed the settings on the Multi, & it never ever spun up, guess it made me a bit lazy & careless.

Offline Norbs

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 12:37:34 PM »
Yes dynamic will allow a greater difference in front and rear wheel speeds and greater IMU angles before it will rein you back in. Good job you hadn't turned them off!

Offline Lighty

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 01:30:41 PM »
Thanks, I will stick it In Rain next time  :430:

Offline Norbs

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 02:38:32 PM »
To be honest I would forget rain mode. It would have to be monsoon rain or icy before I'd entertain rain mode. A gentle hand and road mode is all you need for even heavy rain.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 03:51:22 PM »
I had my XR on dynamic, and when out in the alps in the rain one morning, thought - I'd try the Rain mode.  It smoothed out the throttle response at low openings, and made the bike a lot smoother.  Switched to Road mode shortly after, and have left it in Road since.  Doesn't seem so slow the bike up much  :110:

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 03:59:01 PM »
Use ROAD for wet roads much more control over bike stability than dynamic, also less effects from bumps in the road surface. Dynamic more suitable for dry roads with a reasonable road surface quality - unfortunately not too much of that in England. Same power in road or dynamic.
PSH