Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain oilers  (Read 12334 times)

Offline sevenup

• XR Member
  • Town: Helensburgh
Chain oilers
« on: August 03, 2017, 06:28:45 PM »
I'm still debating with myself about whether I should fit a chain oiler or not. 2 weeks and 3.5k miles on the continent persuades me that it might be a better way to manage my touring. The choices are the electronic scottoiler, Tutoro oiler or Loobman. The latter comes in at £20 approx http://www.loobman.co.uk/buy.asp has anyone any experience of the latter? His website is interesting and it appears that he pioneered the double sided delivery system. I'm not really prepared to pay £200+ for the electronic scottoiler and I want a stand alone system that just works without me drilling holes in the inlet manifold or wherever. If the £20 version is reliable enough, I'll give it a go but any feedback would be good

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Chain oilers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 07:08:15 PM »
I went for the E-Scotoiler, bought S/H. For around £120, from memory.

People seem to worry about the inner link face, but I dont see mine developing rust.  You could always spray the inner face with was if you were worried.

Scotoiler works well, I feel - but there is a relatively cheap option in the form of  the Cobrra:

http://www.cobrra.sk/en/nemo-2-device-lubrication-motorbike-and-quad-chains

I'll be keeping the Scotoiler - but you need to remember to switch it to "non-delivery" if you have the bike on a trailer - as the accellerometers in the unit think the bike is running  :430:

Offline foxracer

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: London
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 10:26:15 PM »
Also have the Scottoiler e-System, but then I like gadgets. Works well, fitted it myself and it was pretty straightforward :)

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 08:08:27 AM »
No thanks!!

Chain spray has come on in leaps and bounds in recent years and beside I like a clean bike  :002:

Offline sevenup

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 08:39:13 AM »
I'm keen on a clean bike but on a fortnight away from home with limited luggage space or room under the seat and unreliable access to bike washing facilities (not a feature at any of the hotels, boarding houses or campsites I visited) I'm looking at solutions that make my life easier for these 2 weeks. I've tried 2 spray cleaners, WD40 and SDOC. I prefer the former because it doesn't need washed off. Chain lube is either SDOC or 1 other that I have temporarily forgotten. I also need to carry something to shield the rear tyre from spray splash along with wipes, gloves and brushes fir the chain. A couple of cans of wd40 chain cleaner with the loobman unit looks like a good touring solution to me.
Ride outs from home are a different matter because I have all the facilities I need and can clean my bike thoroughly after every ride.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 09:02:27 AM »
Jeeze how complicated do you want to be  :002:

We were hoping to have got a few more Euro trips in this year(which we haven't) but another 3 will take us over the 200 mark I have a 955 Tiger with 42,000 on the clock it's maybe done 3000 miles in the UK the rest has been done anywhere from Portugal to Northern Europe and most places 3/4 times,I take a can of chain spray and use it as and when.

I've been a great fan of Wurth Dry lube I'll digress for a minute!!

The net never gives credit to original posters so it's a big head up to Forestboy for posting about WD chain wax bit of a bugger to put on but boy does it stick and work well.

Maybe a separate thread for bike cleaning!! I had a wash day yesterday I have a twin tub washing machine in my garage just for doing the cloths that I clean my bikes with.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:10:02 AM by Winger »

Offline sevenup

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 09:30:31 AM »
The manual says clean and lube every 500 miles. That's 7 times in 14 days in conditions varying between dry dusty 35c to wet cruddy 9c. London was 20c at midnight on Saturday 15 July and I couldn't sleep. The road north at 3am near Cambridge was a manky slurry track through roadworks and at sunny Helensburgh it was 9c in brilliant sunshine. My chain was a cruddy mess. That's not untypical of touring. Not having had a chain driven bike since 1970s (except cycles) I'm trying to get the best life I can from it all. Obsession!

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 11:53:48 AM »
Normally operate on changing chain and sprockets at anything between 15/20,000 miles put my efforts into acquiring such at the right money.

Re looking after the chain when we are on the road on a normal day pull up the hotel bike up on the center stand get chain spray out wife foots the back wheel round we've been doing it so long there is zero conversation  :001:

But!! There's a problem!! The stock Regina chain is the worsed offering I have ever seen since the O ring was invented the number crunchers at the factory really excelled themselves Jesus I think it would go rusty if you walked past it with a glass of water it's appalling save you efforts for when you put a good one on.

Can't remember the last time I wore a chain out most that I have changed have ended up with a tight link which I'm not a fan of hence the change.

Offline Harry H

• XR Member
  • Town: Sunny Surrey
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »
As Winger says.

In my experience chains/ sprockets are good for 15-20k miles if you look after them or not.

Even if the fancy oilers extended the life by 50% you'd still be looking at 50K miles before you got a return on investment and you've still got the grief of keeping the bottle topped up and the additional cleaning.

Chain Wax. Bloody messy, sticky, nasty stuff. Can't think of a better grinding paste than sticky grease that then gets loaded with grit. Every service I have I tell em not to grease the chain cause it then takes me hours to get the bloody stuff off.

Bit of rust. So what

Personally I bung a bit of dry lube on when I remember and after a good clean. With an adjustment before and after a long trip. And that's it.

Chains/ sprockets, they're consumables

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • Town: SoCal
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 08:14:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Harry H [+]
Personally I bung a bit of dry lube on when I remember...
And Google says:
"A bung is a round piece of wood, cork, or rubber which you use to close the hole in a container such as a barrel or flask. ... If you bung something somewhere, you put it there in a quick and careless way. [British , informal] Pour a whole lot of cold water over the rice, and bung it in the oven."

Thank God for the Internet!

Marc
'18 Honda Goldwing DCT
'17 Honda VFR1200X DCT