Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Panniers  (Read 8940 times)

Offline teutonic

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Rossendale
Panniers
« on: August 04, 2017, 03:44:42 PM »
Bike didn't come with luggage so i'm giving it consideration, i already have a Givi Trekker topbox, so my consideration is panniers. Who uses what on their S1000xr ? do they carry a pillion and does the luggage make life difficult for their pillion. I came from a Triumph Explorer, the New Explorer gives a pillion little room if using OEM panniers according to some owners, obviously depending on the size of the pillion. Mrs Teutonic and i spent a weekend away last weekend and used soft panniers, not ideal but it worked.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Panniers
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 04:20:59 PM »
Givi Trekker would be the obvious choice, although I'm not sure they suit the bike. 

I went for Givi Trekker Dolomiti panniers, on quick-removal racks, and think they suit the bike better (a smoother profile).  Don't carry a pillion, but don't see them as being problematic.

I posted some pics in the luggage thread, but suspect they might have disappeared off Photobucket now. 

I'll post some more.

Offline teutonic

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 05:03:10 PM »
I would agree the Trekker boxes wouldn't be my first choice either, something like the V35 would look better and have a more aero profile.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 05:47:58 PM »

Bm XR panniers are fine for me, get more than enough in plus your top box for both of you, just choose your filtering wisely  :169:
Ive not seen any other brand that goes well with the bike but as always, each to their own  :028:
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:32:45 AM »
I have Trekker outbacks on mine and I think they look great :-) But more importantly they are robust and easy to use. The fact they are top opening means all your stuff does not fall out onto the road when you open them :-)

Can't comments on the pillion space as not had a pillion with the panniers on the bike, Can't see why they would compromise the space though.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 09:33:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by teutonic [+]
I would agree the Trekker boxes wouldn't be my first choice either, something like the V35 would look better and have a more aero profile.

I have the Kappa K33 which are the same as the Givi V35. They look nice on the bike, have a good capacity (although the shape of them doesn't allow storing a helmet) and they fit in close to the bike. They are narrower than the handlebars which helps a lot with filtering. I have used the Givi quick release racks which when removed from the bike are very discreet and the mounting hardware is barely noticeable.

Offline teutonic

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:47:08 AM »
Appreciate the comments, food for thought. :021:

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 07:31:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bob S [+]
I have the Kappa K33 which are the same as the Givi V35. They look nice on the bike, have a good capacity (although the shape of them doesn't allow storing a helmet) and they fit in close to the bike. They are narrower than the handlebars which helps a lot with filtering. I have used the Givi quick release racks which when removed from the bike are very discreet and the mounting hardware is barely noticeable.

Same set up I've got works perfect for me and the wife

Heres a link to a earlier thread
https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,1016.msg6914.html#msg6914
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:35:18 PM by forestboy »

Offline teutonic

• XR Junior
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 05:18:14 PM »
Thanks for the link Forestboy, i'm liking those colour coded panniers, they do look nice. I'm swayed more towards the aero type boxes than the adventure type, i know the pro's and con's having been there with other bikes so i won't prompt a debate on that.

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 05:30:12 PM »
I have the Shad kit on mine. It looks good on the bike I reckon and the mounts blend well with the bike when panniers are removed - unlike the BMW  frame arrangement. I can vouch for them being fully waterproof after a 6 hour ride in torrential rain in France.

dysfunctional