Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Is the suspension still harsh?  (Read 5399 times)

Offline Cheburashka

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Los Gatos, Calif
Is the suspension still harsh?
« on: August 04, 2017, 04:56:35 PM »
Hey everyone, I currently own a Ducati Diavel and I'm moving to an area with fairly mediocre roads (bumps!) & a longer commute.

I'm considering the Multistrada and the S1000xr. I'm 190lb, 6'2".

Last time I rode the XR, what I found about the suspension was that it was too harsh over bumps, whereas the Multi was silky smooth.

Is there a fix for this for the XR?

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Re: Is the suspension still harsh?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »

the bike has ajustable settings which can be done on the move, depends what yours was set in when you rode it !
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '16 White XR
  • Town: San Diego
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »
Just use "Road" mode on the commute and "Dynamic" mode when you get  to the twistys.  Also make sure the preload is set to one rider without luggage.
Raptor exhaust / HP sport seat / BM crash bars / Nav VI / Dunlop Q3+'s / Puig screen / Synto levers / TPX radar detector / D.I.D gold X chain / HVMP bar ends / RRG cooler guards / Wunderlich f&r fender extenders & big brake lever / Hepco and Becker stand enlarger / R&G f&r axle sliders / rim tape

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • Town: SoCal
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:58:54 PM »
All the above is true but the reality is that the XR with stock suspension will never ride as plush as a Multi with Skyhook. That suspension really is the best dynamic available in my opinion besides which you can fine tune the different modes to your liking. I wouldn't own a Ducati but I sure like that suspension. My regular riding buddy has a '16 and we trade off quite a bit so I've put a few miles on it. Hate the motor, love the suspension. I've got full Tractive suspenders on my bike but it still isn't as nice as the Duck.

Marc
'18 Honda Goldwing DCT
'17 Honda VFR1200X DCT

Offline Cheburashka

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 09:34:14 PM »
Thanks, Marc. That was the kind of feedback I was looking for.

The Ducati is a great motorcycle, unfortunately, our SF Bay Area Duc dealers' service departments are pretty terrible, which is why I'm looking at going back to BMW (had an F800 before the Diavel).

It's really hard to judge a bike's suspenders by the test ride. I'm worried that with the XR suspension, I will shatter my teeth/back, but still not sure if that's the case, or if road mode makes the suspension fairly plush.

Offline Lighty

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR S.E
  • Town: Derby
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 10:24:34 PM »
I have come from a Multistrada to the XR & the BMW is not in the same league suspension wise  as the Ducati unfortunately.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:36:42 PM by Lighty »

Offline Cheburashka

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 11:07:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lighty [+]
I have come from a Multistrada to the XR & the BMW is not in the same league suspension wise  as the Ducati unfortunately.

In what way? Is it the harshness that I'm describing?

I actually rode the S1000R and found the suspension to be better than the XR. But I've also noticed the XR doesn't seem to have a "soft" setting at all.

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Dana Point, CA.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 12:38:46 AM »
I agree with Chickenstrip - "Just use "Road" mode on the commute and "Dynamic" mode when you get  to the twistys.  Also make sure the preload is set to one rider without luggage." In fact, at 190LBS, 90++% of the time that's all I use/ need for the various poor to good condition twisty/ freeways here in Southern California/ only time I use Dynamic is on nicely paved/ smooth roads, or if I was on the track. 
mike k

Offline Lighty

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR S.E
  • Town: Derby
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 06:31:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Cheburashka [+]
In what way? Is it the harshness that I'm describing?

I actually rode the S1000R and found the suspension to be better than the XR. But I've also noticed the XR doesn't seem to have a "soft" setting at all.
Well I have had the bike about 4 weeks & done 600 miles , a lot of them on the roads around my area that are very familiar to me.
I do love the XR, but there is no doubt that the suspension is not as accomplished as the Multi.
This is particularly noticeable on bumpy A & B roads ( most roads in the U.K.). If you are pushing on you have to hold back a little at times because the bike is thrown about or even knocked off line by the harshness, or lack of compliance in the suspension. I never had this with the Ducati unless it was in the hardest setting, which I never used for the road.
It seems as if the XR could indeed do with a slightly softer setting.

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Dana Point, CA.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 08:17:51 AM »
For me - just saying (maybe there's an "ignorance is bliss factor"), I've never ridden the Multistrada, therefore I can't compare it to my 2016 XR. However, using my previous 2013 BMW R1200R, a GS and S, and a few stints on a 2015 KTM Super Duke, I find the XR's suspension (one helmet/ road mode) pretty close to perfect and rate it at as "firm, but very compliant/ forgiving" because it soaks ups various bad sections of road, freeway slabs, small/ medium size potholes without bumping me off its seat, while allowing me to ride aggressively as I like through the twisties, to about 95ish mph, thereafter it'll start to wallow/ needs dynamic .

Anyway, "suspension setting" is very personal and what may work for one/ won't for the other.
mike k