Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi from Missouri!!  (Read 1041 times)

Offline jmaurais

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: St. Louis, MO
Hi from Missouri!!
« on: August 05, 2017, 06:26:50 PM »
Just closed a deal at Gateway BMW in St. Louis, MO. Found a leftover white 2016 S1000XR with all options minus the following: Quick-shift, Dynamic ESA, and a top luggage rack. Couldn't beat the price....

So, ordered the quick-shifter and an Akra 4 into 1 to go with the stock can. Dealership is installing it next week if the parts arrive in time. Also bought an Arai Corsair-X Vinales in red/white/blue. Awesome graphics!! It's coming with a Sena 20s, handlebar remote, the Sena Prism action camera, and a RAM mount for my iPhone.

Been riding for 30 years....first bike was a 1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 and last bike was a 2009 Harley Ultra Classic. I finally have seen the light and bought the ultimate driving machine!

Can't wait to get back in the wind.  :001:

Offline Elvisto

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Audley, S-o-T
Re: Hi from Missouri!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 08:13:08 PM »
 :400: Enjoy the new machine
Adventure before dementia

Online otrp

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 01:26:54 AM »
Welcome.  That KZ brings back pleasant memories.  Enjoy the new machine.  :002:

Offline jmaurais

• XR Junior
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 11:58:09 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

I picked up my bike from the dealership today. The quickshifter parts are coming from Germany and hadn't arrived yet and the Akrapovic header in stainless is on backorder so that's going to take another week. I couldn't wait any longer so I brought her home today.

I'll bring it back to the dealer for the 600 mile checkup and to have the parts installed. They said they'd give me a loaner for the day. Maybe I'll ask for a GS1200A. I was torn between the two bikes but I'm pretty sure I made the right call.

Offline jmaurais

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 06:21:41 PM »
I've been enjoying this bike quite a bit...It's fast and nimble. The dealer STILL has the header on back-order although they finally heard back from their distributor with a date. They should have it by the end of September. So, for anyone in the US waiting for the Akrapovic header in SS to be back in stock, you shouldn't have to wait too long.

I bought the GS911 tool to remove the rev limiter and reset the service date. Had to adjust the chain and clutch cable at least twice. I also tightened the steering head nut as per the service manual. With that, I should be good on the run-in check. I would have had the dealership do the service if the header would have arrived but they are so far away, I didn't want to have to make the trip twice.

As for accessories, I mounted a Kuryakyn Xkursion XTR1.5 soft case on the rear seat and a radiator guard. It's amazing how much you can cram into that thing. Couldn't be happier!

Great bike.

Online otrp

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 07:20:06 PM »
Thanks for the update. I like that bag.

Offline jmaurais

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 04:56:06 PM »
Final update although I feel this topic should be in the mod section....

Gateway BMW finally called and said the parts were there a few weeks ago and they were booked solid for almost two weeks. Brought it in last Thursday for the Akra header and quick shift. I know, it should have come with the quick shifter but quite honestly, I think I appreciate it more riding 2K miles without it.

Most of you likely have the quick shifter but I have to tell you about the header...I'll say this, if you are thinking about it and wondering if it's worth the money, wonder no more. Just do it. It's worth every bit of what I paid for it. The bike is reborn and I now know with certainty that I made the right decision. I didn't replace the can, that remained stock. I couldn't in good conscience pay more for a can that wasn't a restriction like the catalytic converter. Nor did I remap anything, I let the stock map adjust on its own on recommendation from the dealer. It sounds amazing (a bit loud if that bothers you) and it snaps, crackles, and pops every time you let of the throttle in Dynamic mode.

Hope this helps you guys....