Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: BMW HP levers.  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Leasky

• XR Member
  • Bike: XRSE and R9T
  • Town: Aberdeen
BMW HP levers.
« on: August 06, 2017, 02:05:21 PM »
I have been waiting several months to be able to post a summary of what I have been going through with the local BMW dealer here in Aberdeen, UK; they are called John Clark and have dealerships around the NE of Scotland for BMW, Audi etc. They sell BMW bikes / services from their premises in Aberdeen and Dundee.

I approached their Aberdeen premises in May and asked them to order and fit a set of HP levers. The levers arrived the following week and I attended at their premises to have them fitted.

£320 later I was shown to my bike to see approx 12mm of vertical play in the clutch lever. It was obviously fitted / machined incorrectly. I expressed my concerns to the service person at the time and the technician appeared to tell me that "they are all like that". I again questioned this but neither the Technician nor the Service Rep would listen to my concerns.

I was told that they could take them off again and refit the originals but I would have to pay for that (on top of my £320). I told them I wasn't happy and that (in my mind) the clutch lever was faulty and was not for for purpose. Again, they wouldn't listen to me and told me the matter was "closed".

I drove the bike home (approx 1.5 miles) and called BMW UK and voiced my concerns to them. About a week later, BMW UK got back to me and stated that the lever is supposed to have play in it because it is designed to fold upwards in case of a crash. I explained to the person that the lever had no capacity to fold and that there was no hinge to allow same. BMW UK told me I was wrong and that the lever was correct. I was flabbergasted at the arrogance being displayed.

I returned to work that week and got back home again about 2 weeks ago. I again called BMW UK and insisted that I talk to a Customer Service Manager. I explained my concerns / situation and insisted that the lever be looked at by another BMW garage for a second opinion and I was told to take the bike to John Clark Dundee.

The bike went in there on Wednesday and it has been established that the original lever fitted had been machined incorrectly at the point of manufacture and should not have had the degree of play which it was showing. Also, the lever is rigid and has no capacity to fold. A new lever was fitted free of charge and there is zero / minimal vertical play.

So, over the past few days I have had calls from BMW UK apologising for giving me incorrect information and a call from John Clark Aberdeen (reluctantly) admitting their mistakes.

I have had a financial gesture from John Clark Aberdeen but the most annoying thing is their initial utter reluctance to admit that there may be an issue with the clutch handle; I can't remember the last time I have seen such arrogance.

Anyhow; be careful approaching John Clark Aberdeen but thankfully their dealership in Dundee are a nice, approachable and professional bunch.

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '16 White XR
  • Town: San Diego
Re: BMW HP levers.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 06:41:13 AM »
Wow!  Glad to see you got it fixed. 
Raptor exhaust / HP sport seat / BM crash bars / Nav VI / Dunlop Q3+'s / Puig screen / Synto levers / TPX radar detector / D.I.D gold X chain / HVMP bar ends / RRG cooler guards / Wunderlich f&r fender extenders & big brake lever / Hepco and Becker stand enlarger / R&G f&r axle sliders / rim tape

Offline 35col

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Aberdeenish
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:32:50 AM »
Not good that :003:

Col

Offline foxracer

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: London
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 11:19:47 AM »
Glad you got it sorted, but sorry you had to jump through so many hoops!

Offline Hobo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Warwick
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 09:58:06 PM »
It is disgusting that any dealer would be that disingenuous - a very short term attitude that I hope hits their future trade. Although honesty should be true at every price point, it is somehow especially disappointing when we have paid so much for a premium product and premium accessories.

The trouble is, we see too much of the same from the UK company as well - they set the tone for the dealers.

Offline Elvisto

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Audley, S-o-T
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 07:43:30 AM »
Good result Leaksy, Just a pity these companies don't employ proper engineers these days,
Adventure before dementia