Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low Throttle Openings  (Read 949 times)

Offline teutonic

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Rossendale
Low Throttle Openings
« on: August 06, 2017, 02:44:08 PM »
 picked up 2016 plate bike with 2050 miles on it, previously a BMW HQ fleet bike. I did test ride the dealers demo bike prior to buying this one and didn't notice it on that but i could just have been overawed with the ride, but mine runs a bit erratically at low throttle openings, surges very slightly, idle is not that stable either. When it's being opened up it's fine and pulls like a train, top end is good too. I did make the mistake of filling it with 95 Ron fuel a couple of tanks ago and i thought this was maybe the cause but have used two tanks of 97 Ron now, currently on Shell Nitro. Could it be a fuel map issue or is it just normal for the S1000xr? I understand it is a "revvy" motor and not really designed for "pootling" around but the consideration might be to ask the BMW tech to check it out. Any feedback welcome. BTW... still very pleased with it overall.. :002:

Offline sevenup

• XR Member
  • Town: Helensburgh
Re: Low Throttle Openings
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 04:36:28 PM »
I'm not aware of the issue you describe. Bike seems smooth enough for me a low speeds in low gear. Plenty of testing this summer on hairpins in the alps and Dolomites with no difficulty. I've also run it on 95 and Super as well as the French mixes (E10) without trouble

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 05:13:03 PM »
To the OP which map ?

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 05:40:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by teutonic [+]
picked up 2016 plate bike with 2050 miles on it, previously a BMW HQ fleet bike. I did test ride the dealers demo bike prior to buying this one and didn't notice it on that but i could just have been overawed with the ride, but mine runs a bit erratically at low throttle openings, surges very slightly, idle is not that stable either. When it's being opened up it's fine and pulls like a train, top end is good too. I did make the mistake of filling it with 95 Ron fuel a couple of tanks ago and i thought this was maybe the cause but have used two tanks of 97 Ron now, currently on Shell Nitro. Could it be a fuel map issue or is it just normal for the S1000xr? I understand it is a "revvy" motor and not really designed for "pootling" around but the consideration might be to ask the BMW tech to check it out. Any feedback welcome. BTW... still very pleased with it overall.. :002:

They all do that, particularly as the temperature > 100C. Improves a little with miles and you get used to minimising the effects. No easy fix as it caused by the engine fuel mapping being lean at low power to comply with EUR 4
PSH

dysfunctional