Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi from the Washington DC US area  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Toolman_57

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Wash DC USA Area
Hi from the Washington DC US area
« on: August 21, 2017, 11:02:50 PM »
Picked up my RED XR a few weeks ago--traded in my 2013 K1600GTL. Just finished doing most of my 600mi/1000Km maintenance.
Already added the BMW color matched side/top case(s) via a discount from the dealer, a slighty used tall v-stream windscreen, "crash" bars, clearwater darlas, shift lever extender (borrowed from the 1600), end weights, steering grommets, and side stand enlarger. Removed the 9K limiter via a GS911. Waiting on my up/back handlebar riser, maintenance DVD, and specialty tool to adjust the steering head bearing (which for the life of me seems to not be very well documented--hopefully the maintenance DVD will help).

Looking forward to participating/sharing ideas and lessons-learned. Will post a picture once the thing stops moving.

Tim

Online otrp

• XR Pro
Re: Hi from the Washington DC US area
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 12:52:27 AM »
Hello and welcome Tim. Nice mods.  I'll be getting a GS911 also. I want the dealers hands on this bike as little as possible.

Offline Toolman_57

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 01:38:23 AM »
I'm a big fan of self-maintenance. Looks like you're located close to the dealer that I traded with--State College PA. I've traveled through your area quite a bit on my way to western NY--my family's from there. The PA state forests look like they'd be lots of fun (probably not with the XR though).

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Dana Point, CA.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 02:17:42 AM »
Welcome, hope you enjoy your XR as much as I (BTW - I like and appreciate the XR "much more" than the previous/ various R12's I've had, but have never ridden a K1600, which is supposed to be the ultimate for all touring/ mile crunching/ 2-up riding).
mike k

Offline Elvisto

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Audley, S-o-T
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 08:07:10 AM »
 :400:  Tim, Enjoy the new ride,

I'm familiar with DC, I picked a bike up from Eagle Rider a couple of years ago, and rode down to the Dragons Tail at Deals Gap, Spent a week in the city doing the usual sites, enjoyed it a lot,  :002:
Adventure before dementia

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 11:38:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by Toolman_57 [+]
Picked up my RED XR a few weeks ago--traded in my 2013 K1600GTL. Just finished doing most of my 600mi/1000Km maintenance.
Already added the BMW color matched side/top case(s) via a discount from the dealer, a slighty used tall v-stream windscreen, "crash" bars, clearwater darlas, shift lever extender (borrowed from the 1600), end weights, steering grommets, and side stand enlarger. Removed the 9K limiter via a GS911. Waiting on my up/back handlebar riser, maintenance DVD, and specialty tool to adjust the steering head bearing (which for the life of me seems to not be very well documented--hopefully the maintenance DVD will help).

Hi Toolman
What up and back bar risers have you ordered? I fitted up risers from Wunderlich.
Cheers

Looking forward to participating/sharing ideas and lessons-learned. Will post a picture once the thing stops moving.

Tim

Offline Toolman_57

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 02:11:59 AM »
Thanks for all the warm welcomes and for the contributors (and especially the moderators) of this site. I'll do my best to add to the fun!

Offline Toolman_57

• XR Member

Offline Elvisto

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Audley, S-o-T
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 08:42:21 AM »
I bought the same ones Tim,( well silver) they made it just perfect, and the bonus was I didn't have to adjust the cables,
Adventure before dementia

Offline Toolman_57

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 02:51:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by Elvisto [+]
I bought the same ones Tim,( well silver) they made it just perfect, and the bonus was I didn't have to adjust the cables,

Received it today but I ordered the wrong part (need the 32mm dia ones). Revzilla's sending me the right one: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-barback-offset-handlebar-risers-bmw-r1200gs-adventure-2013-2017#fitment_tab
I hope no one else ordered the one from the previous link I sent.