Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tie down points per owners manual???  (Read 2000 times)

Offline HMM

• XR Junior
  • 60yrs NW FL USA
  • Bike: 16 S1000XR
  • Town: Crestview FL US
Tie down points per owners manual???
« on: August 24, 2017, 02:52:21 AM »
Hi,
Getting a used XR with no owners manual and need to know the tie down points per the manual to haul on a trailer.
thanks in advance.
Darryl
Thanks for all you do.
Darryl

Offline Toolman_57

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Wash DC USA Area
Re: Tie down points per owners manual???
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 03:36:51 AM »
Rider's manual link for all bikes: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/services/manuals/manuals_main.html&notrack=1

Page 110 and 111 says to tie down to the bottom fork bridge in the front and footpegs in the back. It also says to compress the suspension as much as possible and to not tie it down against the side stand.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 03:42:50 AM by Toolman_57 »

Offline Motoman

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Naples, Fl.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 12:42:23 PM »
Used that tie down system on my trip to the Dragon in July and she was solid as rock. Works well just make sure you get some strap extenders/loops to keep stuff away from the bike.

Offline Karlb

• XR Pro
  • My Life is a Blur
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Crockett, TX
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 12:15:18 PM »
 get a pit bull trailer restraint system, its great and you never have to worry about strapping down a bike again.
2016 Red Sled

Offline eljay998

• XR Member
  • From R to XR....
  • Bike: S1000XR sport SE
  • Town: hockley
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 07:09:57 PM »
Always used a set of bar straps and a tyre down on the back wheel. (there are loads of different systems like these). I just prefer not to load the suspension at both ends for any length of time.
Driven up to a 1000 miles and a ferry each way with two bikes on a trailer lots of times with no problems. If you had the front wheel in a secure chock, then even better.....
S1000XR sport SE

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 07:51:27 PM »
While in agreement about excessive force tying down a bike - I cant imagine that the straps exert more force than 22 stone of rider, pillion, and another 8 stone of luggage?

I'm not a fan of bar-straps. As the angle of force, and the interference with the various accoutrements on modern bars - is great.

The 'Pitbull' appears to be the epitome of tie-downs, and on a flat-bed would defo be my choice.

Offline eljay998

• XR Member
  • From R to XR....
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 08:27:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
While in agreement about excessive force tying down a bike - I cant imagine that the straps exert more force than 22 stone of rider, pillion, and another 8 stone of luggage?

I'm not a fan of bar-straps. As the angle of force, and the interference with the various accoutrements on modern bars - is great.

The 'Pitbull' appears to be the epitome of tie-downs, and on a flat-bed would defo be my choice.

I get your point about rider weight etc, but having the bike pulled down into a highly compressed state for a long period of time and not moving up and down always worries me about popping seals and/or damaging springs and the like. Agree bar straps can be a little fiddly, but they have always worked for me on road and track bikes, but I guess it's all personal choice....
S1000XR sport SE

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 09:15:05 AM »
My preferred arrangement (to suit my own trailer and its tie-down points)

Poly bag around front wheel to prevent strap chafing on wheel rim.

The rear wheel clamp is good, but in the event of a single failure - the additional straps are there to prevent disaster.

Offline eljay998

• XR Member
  • From R to XR....
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 09:17:12 AM »
That looks solid Mareng  :028:
S1000XR sport SE

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 09:21:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by eljay998 [+]
That looks solid Mareng  :028:

Thanks.

I also use (re-usable) cable-ties on the cargo-strap buckles and loose tails.
Stop after a while on the country roads, and re-check everything is still as is should be.

That's the first time I have trailered the XR, so took the pic - to do the exact same next time.