Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Waste of money doing a service early?  (Read 1584 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ant

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
  • Country: us
  • Bike: S1000XR
Waste of money doing a service early?
« on: August 24, 2017, 05:22:43 AM »
I only have 4800 mi on my 2016 and I've had it over a year. BMW recommends service by either miles or by time says the dealer. It's gonna take me a while to hit 6k so bite the bullet and do it now or don't worry and wait until I actually hit 6k or there abouts?

Offline Motoman

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
  • Country: us
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Naples, Fl.
Re: Waste of money doing a service early?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 12:51:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ant [+]
I only have 4800 mi on my 2016 and I've had it over a year. BMW recommends service by either miles or by time says the dealer. It's gonna take me a while to hit 6k so bite the bullet and do it now or don't worry and wait until I actually hit 6k or there abouts?

Has the service light popped on yet? I was under the impression that they did either time or Miles. I don't put a lot of miles on mine either and may run into the same problem.
If it's on that would annoy me to the point of getting it done early. Otherwise I would wait. :002:

Offline Ant

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
  • Country: us
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Waste of money doing a service early?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Motoman [+]
Has the service light popped on yet? I was under the impression that they did either time or Miles. I don't put a lot of miles on mine either and may run into the same problem.
If it's on that would annoy me to the point of getting it done early. Otherwise I would wait. :002:

Service light is on and the word SERVICE! covers my temp gauge. Dealer told me the light & message pops on either by miles ot time and in my case it's by time.

Offline Motoman

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
  • Country: us
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Naples, Fl.
Re: Waste of money doing a service early?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 08:33:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ant [+]
Service light is on and the word SERVICE! covers my temp gauge. Dealer told me the light & message pops on either by miles ot time and in my case it's by time.

Thought that's how it worked. That would drive me crazy seeing that all the time. Guess its time to put some miles on that baby!
Probably not going to hurt anything if you can live with it. Sucks not being able to see temp gauge.6K is basically an oil change. I would change it myself and pay the dealer to re set it.

Offline Ant

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
  • Country: us
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Waste of money doing a service early?
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 08:51:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Motoman [+]
Thought that's how it worked. That would drive me crazy seeing that all the time. Guess its time to put some miles on that baby!
Probably not going to hurt anything if you can live with it. Sucks not being able to see temp gauge.6K is basically an oil change. I would change it myself and pay the dealer to re set it.

What sucks is my new job is 1 mile from home so I won't be racking up miles during the week. 6K is oil and fluids so at least it feels like you're getting something for your money! I just may bite the bullet and do it early, may not be necessary but it certainly won't hurt. And yes the servive light and message bugs the sh#t out of me!

Offline Motoman

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
  • Country: us
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Naples, Fl.
Re: Waste of money doing a service early?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 09:43:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ant [+]
What sucks is my new job is 1 mile from home so I won't be racking up miles during the week. 6K is oil and fluids so at least it feels like you're getting something for your money! I just may bite the bullet and do it early, may not be necessary but it certainly won't hurt. And yes the servive light and message bugs the sh#t out of me!

Same boat here. I  am only 5 miles from work but do go home for lunch everyday. And summertime weather in Florida kind of sucks for riding bikes. Like you say It may be best to just get it done.12K may be another story. That's a big one and I know I will run up against that. Weather should start getting better soon and hope to get out on the weekends and do some riding.  :305: Good luck and enjoy your ride when you can!

Offline Patrick Bateman

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 211
  • Country: au
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
Re: Waste of money doing a service early?
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 04:52:39 AM »
Under the terms of your warranty, BMW could deny a claim if the fault is related to incorrect servicing. I have worked with several automotive brands and the policy is the same across the board - regardless how many miles you haven't done. I would suggest you get it serviced.
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline Ant

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
  • Country: us
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Waste of money doing a service early?
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 05:04:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman [+]
Under the terms of your warranty, BMW could deny a claim if the fault is related to incorrect servicing. I have worked with several automotive brands and the policy is the same across the board - regardless how many miles you haven't done. I would suggest you get it serviced.

Have an appt for Saturday. Why postpone spending the money, treat the bike right   :002:

 


dysfunctional