Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Top Case Opinions wanted  (Read 2131 times)

Offline JustD

• XR Junior
  • Town: San Jose
Top Case Opinions wanted
« on: August 27, 2017, 05:51:11 AM »
I just bought a new-to-me 2016 S1000XR to use as my daily commuting bike (about 20 miles each way in the San Francisco Bay area). The bike currently has some large Givi Outback side cases which I’m planning on taking off to make lans splitting easier.

I want to add a top case for storage, just for daily stuff (lunch, laptop, rain suit, etc.) and can’t decide between the small 30 liter Givi Trekker Dolomiti, or the BMW (or similar) more aero top case. I like the clunky look of the “off road” cases but I don’t necessarily want to look like a pizza delivery guy, either…

Opinions? Photos of your bike with options? THANKS

-David

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
Re: Top Case Opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 11:09:30 AM »
I had the bmw case on my RS and I believe it's the same case that fits the XR.  It was not that accommodating.  Couldn't fit my xl helmet or my laptop while in the laptop bag. It looks the best though and doesn't require additional racking systems.
I too don't want the pizza boy look but not sure the bmw case is worth the money.   

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 12:05:04 PM »
The standard BMW top case was too small for my laptop bag for commuting, so I got a Givi V47NT which is the perfect size, and the black and grey colouring of the box goes well with my bike that has the white/grey paint job.

Offline BrianS

• XR Member
  • Town: N Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 02:11:38 PM »
I didn't like the standard BMW top box and had a Givi V47 from my last bike.

Offline JustD

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 05:15:18 PM »
Thanks!

I do like the look of the adventure cases but most are too big... the smaller 30LTR DOLOMITI is nice, I just wonder if it's big enough to be useful.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 05:43:43 PM »
What about a BMW Vario top-case?    There is an adaptor plate available to mount one on an S-XR.

Very flexible in use.

Offline JustD

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 07:05:13 PM »
Great idea, thanks Mareng1, I didn't even know that one existed. Ingenious expanding mechanism. Any chance you know the part number (or a link) to the mounting plate, this could be the winner!

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 07:56:12 PM »
Here you go!  You can even see what it looks like.

http://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/adaptor-plate-to-allow-a-twin-cam-vario-topbox--mounting-plate-to-suit-an-s1000xr-190-p.asp

You'll need the standard BMW mounting plate for the Vario, too.

I considered it, as I have a Vario box which I've used for around 50,000miles on my GSAs over the years - overloading it, with no damage.    You'll be able to key it to match your ignition.   

I'm sure there will be plenty for sale on Ebay.

Offline JustD

• XR Junior
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 07:58:10 PM »
Mareng1 = My hero.

THANKS

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 08:23:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
Here you go!  You can even see what it looks like.

http://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/adaptor-plate-to-allow-a-twin-cam-vario-topbox--mounting-plate-to-suit-an-s1000xr-190-p.asp

You'll need the standard BMW mounting plate for the Vario, too.

I considered it, as I have a Vario box which I've used for around 50,000miles on my GSAs over the years - overloading it, with no damage.    You'll be able to key it to match your ignition.   

I'm sure there will be plenty for sale on Ebay.
THose cases are the best. I had one on my GS. Is it too heavy to hang of the edge of the XR like that? I still have my old vario and it's super heavy. Are they lighter now? Friggin bomb proof but really heavy.
Without question the best top box ever.