Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi People  (Read 647 times)

Offline zunkii

• XR Junior
  • Bike: XR1000 SE Sport
  • Town: Edgware
Hi People
« on: August 28, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »
Hi Guys

I have finally grabbed the bull by the bollocks and bought a new baby, a 2016, ex company bike with 3300 on the clock, and a few toys thrown in (alarm, and white metallic paint with all the graphics). I did look at a red one, similar age with about 2000 miles more for the same price, but went for this one.
So I’m really excited, like a kid just before Christmas but I must admit, I’m a tad nervous I am making quite a big step up, from a Honda NC750 which is a great bike, but soooo boring to ride. I have owned a GSX600 back in the day before I gave bikes a rest when the kids were growing up and I had to be a sensible taxi.
I commute every day rain or shine which is a 40-mile round trip through central London, where I won’t get out of 3rd gear, but I do a number of 50-80-mile motorway runs a week (I’m already looking at alternative A road options)
Any tips on how to get used to the huge difference in performance and power on a bike like this. I thought of riding around in rain mode for a while, but that’s really soft don’t you think?
Also and probably the most important question, is: Does anybody ever really push this bike and ride it like it was intended and not get caught? If you answer yes, then how?

Cheers

Zunk

Offline Forum Admin

• XR Administrator
  • XR Member
Re: Hi People
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 01:43:48 PM »
......which is a 40-mile round trip through central London, where I won’t get out of 3rd gear,

Third gear, what's that  :261:  never seen that in London lol  :001:

Welcome to the forum  :028:

:821:

Offline otrp

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 02:08:22 PM »
Hello and welcome. The XR is as aggressive or tame as the throttle dictates.  Keep it in rode mode, use a gentle right hand and the bike is like a sleeper.  If you get bored on some open stretch, let it rip and enjoy that big smile.    :001:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 02:39:20 PM by otrp »

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 02:17:24 PM »
Welcome!!
an NC to this? Wow big leap Zunk. This should keep you amused for a while.

One thing, here in the US will grab the bull by the horns not the testes  :008:

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Dana Point, CA.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 04:25:10 PM »
WELCOME!!!!

For me, the S1000XR (one of thee best do-it-all motorcycles can be ridden like a scooter around town/ or ballistic (can/ will stay with, and in the right hands beat sports bikes at their own game, below 120 +/- MPH where 90% of the action is on the real roads of life/ not the track.
mike k