Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Flapping fender extenda - fixed  (Read 2694 times)

Online JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
Flapping fender extenda - fixed
« on: August 30, 2017, 10:16:12 AM »
I fitted a Powerbronze fender extenda soon after I got the XR having seen the state of the rad on the demonstrator I rode. The Powerbronze item is long, so it works well protecting the rad. However it is quite heavy and unlike other bikes I've owned the front mudguard is only mounted in front of the fork leg, there is no mounting point behind the fork leg. So the fenda extenda flaps about hitting the tyre over bigger bumps, so much so I can hear it! Eventually I guess the flexing would snap or crack the mudguard.

I'd been looking for a solution for a few months, but dismissed them - eg making up metal brackets and straps. The mechanic I use suggested strengthening the mudguard itself with fiberglass matting - underneath, so invisible, and lightweight. It took me about an hour to do in all, half the time masking off the painted side! It worked - the mudguard is stiffer and the flexing and noise is no more.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:19:04 AM by JTL »

Offline BarryM

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 08' Blade
  • Town: Barnet
Re: Flapping fender extenda - fixed
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 10:26:43 AM »
. The mechanic I use suggested strengthening the mudguard itself with fiberglass matting - underneath, so invisible, and lightweight. It took me about an hour to do in all, half the time masking off the painted side! It worked - the mudguard is stiffer and the flexing and noise is no more.

Sounds good, got any photos ? Would be good to see. 

Online JTL

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 12:30:12 PM »
I'll post a photo this weekend

Offline Leasky

• XR Member
  • Bike: XRSE and R9T
  • Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 02:55:12 PM »
Yes, I would be very keen to learn / see more as I am exactly the same situation with the same fender extender.

Offline r15suk

• XR Member
  • Town: Reading
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 04:51:30 PM »
I fitted a carbon Illmberger front mudguard which is longer than standard. Expensive, but IMO, well worth it.

Simon

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 05:05:17 PM »
I fitted the R&G carbon effect fender extender. It's quite long, and it flaps around a bit, but the flex is coming from the original mudguard with the extra weight/leverage on it. I haven't noticed it hitting the wheel. Does a great job though of keeping much off the radiator, and don't need a rad guard as a result.

Online JTL

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 07:28:06 PM »
Here are the pics:
Fender Extenda in place:

Fibreglass strengthening in place. I also used the fibreglass to fix the extenda in place (It was originally fixed with double sided tape, no screws - too ugly)
I masked off the entire painted area with polythene sheet as my cack-handedness would undoubtedly have got some resin on the external surfaces :

I used this kit:
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/fillers-preparation/davids-fastglass-glass-fibre-kit-small

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 10:24:41 AM »
That's the model I have - looks like a worthwhile mod for over the winter.

Cheers!

Offline DonVulpes

• XR Member
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 11:19:05 AM »
Very nice mod  :152:

Offline Elvisto

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Audley, S-o-T