Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello from Ottawa, Canada  (Read 2281 times)

Offline s1000xr2016

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
Hello from Ottawa, Canada
« on: September 06, 2017, 10:57:15 PM »
I bought a 2016 1000XR (the full package) in November, and since the snow melted have had a chance to put some Kmts on it. A lovely bike. I now think that BMW now stands fro Bl**dy Marvelous Woohoo. It really is a do everything "scratch on Sunday tour on Monday" bike. Much more comfortable than my son's RR.
I was a little worried about the infamous vibration, but I X only have a low level in the handlebars (still installing weights to reduce further), and some noticeable but acceptable vibration in the pegs. I normally put a Corbin seat on my bikes, but even the seat is good for a full day.
I own a few other bikes: 2007 Triumph Rocket, 2011 Tiger1050, 1971 Bonneville, and two dirt bikes. Amongst several previously owned bikes are two GS1100s.
I appreciate you guys running the forum, which has already been of use to me. Thank you

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Spokane, WA.
Re: Hello from Ottawa, Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 12:03:50 AM »
Welcome - I agree with your comments about the XR. As for the XR's "handle bar" buzz, it was never really an issue for me until I continued reading various reviews/ complaints about it (ah, the power of journalism, negative findings). Anyway, after about 1500 miles of riding/ + Handle Bar mod from BMW (which was free of cost), I have no issues or problems at all, but I didn't have any problems/ issues with it in the first place.

Also, I've found "for me" that the XR essentially needs no modifications at all. However, I did get a front fender extender, oil/ radiator guard, and plastic protective covers for the head lights. Only other item that would be helpful/ improvement would be an MRA or Puig windscreen, however, the stock windscreen is pretty good/ no urgency "for me" to replace it.
mike k

Online otrp

• XR Master
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 12:20:16 AM »
Hello and welcome. The vibes are no big deal to me either. As I put miles on the bike, what was there, greatly diminished. I have done no mods for the vibes at all, not an issue for me.   :002:

Offline dkaplun

• XR Member
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Philadelphia
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 03:18:18 PM »
Welcome!

Vibration was a huge deal to me but with the modifications the feel dropped by around 85%.  Enjoy the ride!

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Spokane, WA.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 03:59:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by dkaplun [+]
Welcome!

Vibration was a huge deal to me but with the modifications the feel dropped by around 85%.  Enjoy the ride!

My theory on the XR's Handle Bar vibes (it does exist, but Handle Bar Vibes also existed with my previous Aprilia's, Triumph's and R12R's, S's and a GS). Anyway, I believe some riders have different nerve endings/ sensitivity in their hands, also different "types" of riding gloves will allow a rider to feel an increase/ decrease in vibes. "For me," I notice more vibes (this goes for any bike) when wearing my "perforated - little if any padding" summer gloves, compared to my larger insulated winter gloves, which totally eliminates any vibration getting to my hands.
mike k

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 04:31:53 PM »
Welcome along!

:400:

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 06:30:08 PM »
Welcome s1000xr2016 (Didn't think long and hard about that handle! :001: ). My bike has 2800 miles and barely any vibes. Cracking machine.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 10:01:22 PM »

:400: brother, the bikes a minter for sure, love riding the thing..
looks like we are a www forum   :028:, I too, appreciate its members and contrabutions by all.
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Elvisto

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Audley, S-o-T
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 06:21:58 PM »
 :400: Ottawa, Enjoy the new bike, it sure is awesome ,
Adventure before dementia

Offline Cheburashka

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Los Gatos, Calif
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 10:49:27 PM »
I was raised in Ottawa. Centerpointe/Nepean area. Graduated from Bell High School.

I'm sorry.  :190: Enjoy whatever is left of the riding season over there!

dysfunctional