Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How do you ride yours?  (Read 5614 times)

Offline zunkii

• XR Junior
  • Bike: XR1000 SE Sport
  • Town: Edgware
How do you ride yours?
« on: September 08, 2017, 11:14:17 AM »
Guys

As I have said before, I am new to riding such a powerful machine, and my commute is through central london where I seldom have the opportunity to go above 30mph, am I better off doing this in second gear to Keep the revs up or 3rd /4th at 2500rpm?

Zunk

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: How do you ride yours?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 11:41:57 AM »
Lot depends on which map.

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: CA
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 05:21:44 PM »
I would say you don't want to go below 3000RPM regularly. This engine is designed to run at higher RPMs and thus the oil pressure, viscosity, and tolerances are designed to operate in that region. Surely you can dip below 3000 and it remains smooth but for the majority of your ride I would keep it above that. So 30mph correlates to like 3rd gear probably? 2nd gear is probably unnecessarily low of a gear.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 06:36:30 PM »
Thought the oil-pressure (as delivered at the pump) was always in excess (from idle upwards) and was regulated to a steady-ish value?

But - I think it is good practice on a short-stroke 4-cyl to run 3,000rpm (ash) as a general minimum.

Offline Plexat

• XR Member
  • BMW since 1979
  • Town: Doesburg
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 07:29:02 PM »
Always ride in a variety of revs. Some moments low revs and than shift down and use higher revs.
Just play with the throttle and have fun. This is what I got as advice from my dealer.  :001:
But you should use the bike also at higher speeds and revs outside London. Than you make the bike more happy.
And ... it will make you happy!

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 09:29:44 PM »
THis is sort of like my S1000R, it doesn't seem to like low revs. I stay in first if I'm at 35 mph or less then shift to second if I'm going to be hovering a little over that. You will lugg at 2.5k rpms, I don't think the engine likes that.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 04:21:31 PM »

All about the mode your in, if it's blx traffic and you can't make ground I'd consider rain, calms everything down and smooths out the horses to ponies, if your good for 100m plus spurts I'd go for dynamic for fun of it, but roads ok.

All on how you ride, filter,overtake

Just don't be one of the ankers who sit in the queue with the cars.. :005:, never understood that  :087:
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 01:14:37 PM »
I sympathize with your commute revs, and spent many moments in the saddle pondering the same thing.

For me, I've found that when commuting below 30mph, I'll stay in 2nd gear.  The 'XR seems happier there.  If I flip to 3rd gear, the 'XR grumbles and gurgles so much, I apologetically click it back down to 2nd, and she's happy again.

Moreover, I've found that my own 'XR has better fuel efficiency with higher RPMs as well.   :028:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 05:15:49 PM »
My 2017 XR is perfectly happy in 6th at 2100 rpm at 30mph.  It pulls quite happily from there to +100mph without any bother.  Below 30mph is ok, but I can tell it would prefer 5th.  I was out on it today and tried the 2nd gear/30mph combination - hmmm, just breathing on the throttle and I'm doing 45mph(in road mode)!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:27:49 PM by JTL »

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 06:14:52 PM »
I find on the XR that I should be in one ratio lower than on previous 4cyl and 2cyl bikes -  at speeds less than 60mph, otherwise it seems a bit 'laboured'.

If I was to keep an eye on the tachometer - it would probably show that I generally keep it above 3,000rpm unless crawling.

dysfunctional