Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Matching Carbon  (Read 1268 times)

Offline RedKnight

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Cambridgeshire
Matching Carbon
« on: September 09, 2017, 11:50:59 AM »
I'm looking to get some extra carbon bits for my XR and I already have the akra exhaust and the HP rearsets. The carbon looks the same on both and I'd would like to try and match this colour/pattern with any of the new bits I buy.

Does anyone know if you can you tell the difference between different manufacturers? I.e. HP and Ilmberger?

Also any manufacturer recommendations? Or any to stay clear of?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 11:56:49 AM by RedKnight »

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Matching Carbon
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 05:51:54 PM »
Because there is more than one way to produce carbon and consequently ending up with different weaves you have to look at what a manufacturer produces for your bike and then make mind your up.

Carbon is like anything else in life within reason you get what you pay for at the top end you get the BM HP stuff which frankly is silly money(I do have some on my K)then after that you have the like of Ilmberger/Bestem and no end of smaller producers.

If I have a favourite then that'll Ilmberger but even that isn't cheap,as for who to avoid? Don't think their are any really the cheaper always takes errr!! Some fitting but I've got a Power Bronze front mudguard on my XR for less than 100 quid and its fine no where near as good as the HP version but then it's around two thirds cheaper you pay your money and take your chance.

Two others I've seen Cream Carbon/ Zero Limits.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:02:00 PM by Winger »

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 06:19:55 PM »
Ilmberger on mine, extended front guard and rear hugger
Had it on my previous bikes
Well made, looks good
Always get it from Calsport in West Midlands as they seem to always it for the lowest price in UK
It doesn't match the weave on the akra heel guard on exhaust but is only noticeable if you look real close

Offline RedKnight

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 07:39:02 PM »
Great stuff, thanks for the pointers. I do believe you get what you pay for but the HP stuff is extreme. I'll take a look at Ilmberger.

I'm not that picky about the weave match but good to know that you'd have to look closely and that it doesn't stand out.

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 07:52:32 PM »
I've posted these before but quite a while back
I got the extended front guard, just gives a bit more protection even though I do have the rad and cooler guards fitted

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 07:59:26 PM »
more

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 09:20:16 AM »
Since the weight saving will be minimal effect/value for money - why not get parts done in that "carbon-dip" process?   (or even wrapped)?

Of course - if you are looking for extra rigidity, you'll need real carbon fibre.

Not sure how the carbon-dip works - but there is a mob here, who look like they even do it to your wheels??

http://kentcustomdipping.co.uk

dysfunctional