Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil analysis 9500 miles  (Read 1050 times)

Offline vsteel

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Kuna, ID
Oil analysis 9500 miles
« on: September 19, 2017, 02:25:21 AM »
I was worried about the viscosity breakdown from the first oil report.  I did have a different oil, I went from the BMW synthetic oil to Shell Rotella T6.  I know they are close and both made by shell but looks like there might be some small formulation differences.  I didn't feel any shifting difference starting out but I did notice that the shifting didn't degrade over time.  This time the oil was just barely under spec for viscosity and I had 4750 on oil.  I think I might try for 6K not this time but the next.  I might short change the oil and then just go back to having the air filter and the oil on the same intervals.

I should note that I was really curious on this report since there was a lot of hot weather riding on the oil.  I had a lot of times when the bike was running 210F or hotter.  It peaked out a few times at 223F so this oil got abused pretty good.

Oh and I did notice that they typo'd the bike in the report but called it out correctly in the comments and the vehicle ID it is under is also a XR.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Oil analysis 9500 miles
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 09:15:37 AM »
Since Rotella isn't a motorcycle-specific oil  - are you sure you aren't heading towards a contaminated clutch?

I think if I was to deviate from BMW branded (which I assumed was Castrol) - it would still be for the best motorcycle oil, rather than Rotella, which on first glance - looks to be an HD oil for Diesel engines.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:17:30 AM by Mareng1 »

Offline vsteel

• XR Member
  • Town: Kuna, ID
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 04:55:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
Since Rotella isn't a motorcycle-specific oil  - are you sure you aren't heading towards a contaminated clutch?

I think if I was to deviate from BMW branded (which I assumed was Castrol) - it would still be for the best motorcycle oil, rather than Rotella, which on first glance - looks to be an HD oil for Diesel engines.
BMW used to be Castrol but now it is made by shell.  It is actually close to the Rotella T6.  Rotella is rated for motorcycles.  It matches all of the BMW specs for weight 5w40, SN rated so good there and it also is rated JASO MA2 so it has the latest greatest wet clutch rating. 
Based on 2 oil analysis reports it also has less viscosity breakdown than the BMW oil. 

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 09:24:23 AM »
Done a bit of reading, and stand corrected.    :0461:

Could be savings to be made there, for sure.   Nothing irks more, than 4 x 1L bottles of BMW oil when you know they are decanting from a drum at the back of the workshop.

dysfunctional