Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fork seal.  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Krisstyx

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr se
  • Town: Southampton
Fork seal.
« on: July 15, 2015, 04:48:29 PM »
Well bike has now done 1952 miles in  10 days & it now looks like I've blown a fork seal. Guess a trip to Bahnstormer for new handle bar weights & forks seals! Bugger!

Offline Welshman

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW HP2 Sport
  • Town: Bewdley
Re: Fork seal.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 04:51:35 PM »
Well at least you'll be covered by warranty!

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 09:41:43 PM »
Keep us posted on how things go.  Hope the fork seals won't turn out to be a problem for other bikes.   :003:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline Krisstyx

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 01:32:13 AM »
Well had new fork seal fitted & new handle bar weight all done under warranty, although they didn't change the brake pads! (But they did clean it probably with a pressure washer), rode it home & left for a week. Was going to go to thruxton for BSB today, but bike won't start, lamps warning comes up on dash, check all bulbs- fine! Put sat nav on nothing! Absolutely no go! So have to phone BMW assist to recover to Bahnstormer for the second time in 2 weeks!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:34:58 AM by Krisstyx »

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Town: South Central
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 07:38:33 PM »
Did you have it out in the sunlight before attempting to start?  There is a problem with BMW switchgear - if they get hot the solder in a circuit board expands and the bike wont start - happened to me on my RR 3 weeks ago whilst on a tour of the Black Forest. Cold water poured over the switchgear cured the issue each time but it was not right.  Luckily I had some GS savvy touring mates with me who told me the fix - Mentioned it to Bahnstormers when I got home and amazingly they didn't immediately say thats bollox - actually its a well known problem with the RR (and other older Beemers) - and maybe the XR???
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline Krisstyx

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
No it had been garaged all week & still inside when I tried it. Waiting to hear back from 'Stormer.

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Town: South Central
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 09:37:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Krisstyx [+]
No it had been garaged all week & still inside when I tried it. Waiting to hear back from 'Stormer.

So not a heat issue.  Hope they sort it out for you pronto.
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 12:28:11 AM »
And let's hope BMW got it together for the switches on the XR.  I can't count the number of times I've had switches changed between two K1300's and a 1600GT!!!   :230:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

dysfunctional