Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: My 3 week review  (Read 1580 times)

Offline zunkii

• XR Junior
  • Bike: XR1000 SE Sport
  • Town: Edgware
My 3 week review
« on: September 20, 2017, 05:35:45 PM »
I have now been riding my bike for about 3 weeks and as promised, here is my review along with my early thoughts.
I am returning to a “proper” bike after having taken a 15-year break from bikes while my kids were growing up, I bought a Honda Forza 300 (scooter) about 2 years ago to get back in the swing of things and for my 30 mile round trip to work and back every day. I soon got a bit bored with that and upgraded to an NC750 (DCT), and whilst that bike was very practical (65mpg) and more than sufficient for what I needed, it was hardly exciting to ride. Then whilst on holiday in the summer, I had a ride on my friends 2015 XR, and decided there and then that I had to have one.
I found a 2017 ex company bike with 3500 on the clock at Wollaston BMW, and we made a deal over the phone whilst I was still on holiday.
When I went to pick it up, the service was great, and I was in and out in an hour. The ride from the showroom to the M1 was eventful with me managing to stall at least half a dozen times, and over revving when pulling off at the lights, and generally feeling like a real prat. The 60-mile ride home was straightforward, and I motored along at 80, testing out the cruise control, I pushed it for a bit when the road cleared and the power was impressive.
I have now been riding the bike for a while, mainly on my daily commute through central London, where I don’t really get out of third gear, or have the opportunity to use the power. I have done a number of longer rides on fast twisty A roads, which is what biking is all about.
What do I love about the bike?
•   The riding position, it’s just so natural, when I watched the reviews, I couldn’t understand when people said, “you sit in the bike, not on it”. But it’s so true. Whether you’re filtering at 10mph or blasting it, the position just feels right.
•   The responsiveness, its just soooo quick, and the power just keeps coming.
•   The exhaust, its loud enough for me, nice growl
•   I know I own one of the best bikes around.
•   Vibrations, what vibrations? I was expecting to feel like I’d been working a pneumatic drill after a long ride, but cant say I noticed. There are times very occasionally when the car behind becomes a blur in the rear view mirror, but I find if I rev through that its ok, either by speeding up or changing down.

What don’t I like?
•   It’s a bitch to work on, even simple stuff like chain maintenance. Removing the chain guard is not a simple process, so I just end up working on the 6 inches of chain by the kick stand and rolling the back wheel.
•   One of my front indicators popped out, and it took me an hour to get it back on, and involved moving a bit of fairing.
•   The lights aren’t great for seeing where you’re going especially on country roads at night.
•   The tool kit BMW supply is a joke, I’ve received more tools from Ikea to assemble a wardrobe. You would have thought that they’d chuck in a decent tool kit with a £15k bike.
•   And Finally living and riding in London, I live with the constant fear that it will get stolen, or I’ll get banned from riding for driving like a loon.

Cheers

Charlie

Online otrp

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
Re: My 3 week review
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 08:22:29 PM »
Thanks for the review. The XR is one beastly bike.   :001:

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 11:55:17 PM »
Thanks.  You are brave riding into London - do you have half a dozen SAS tropers standing guard over it?   :018:

Offline Elvisto

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Audley, S-o-T
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 07:42:04 AM »
Cheers Charlie,  I agree with the loon bit  :015: worries me too,
Adventure before dementia

Offline Lighty

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR S.E
  • Town: Derby
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 06:20:05 PM »
 :460:great to hear you are enjoying it, it sure can zip along. I V maxed mine the other day (on a track obviously) and the top speed comes up so quick  :430:

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 09:44:09 PM »
I'm on my forth week and I agree with everything you've pointed out except the loon part... I would never dare behave in a manner Johnny law would take exception to  :038:

I love the bike but those lights are a real let down. MY S1000R was better so I expected this to be at least as good. Other than that this is one great bike.

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Dana Point, CA.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 03:00:18 AM »
Charlie, I agree and feel your comments about the XR are pretty right on. Having had mine since Feb. 2017 (I've only done about 3,000 miles - need to ride more) I find the XR to be the best do-it-all motorcycle I've had, because of its fantastic handling, fun factor and all-day comfort.

As for you living and riding in London (I've never been there), if it's anything like Los Angeles and some of its surrounding areas, the XR's wide bars can make it challenging to split through traffic, which was essentially the same for my previous R12GS and R12R. Fortunately, I'm living about 70 miles south of LA and don't have to deal with that "too much". Hopefully, you can get out of London from time to time and enjoy some less traveled roads, so the XR stretch it legs/ have a good time.
mike k