Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GS-911 alternative.  (Read 3636 times)

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Australia
Re: GS-911 alternative.
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 10:21:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gbjbany [+]
My question was does it have the vehicle registration limit the gs-911 has ? i.e can it only be used on one bike or multiple bikes ?
My other question was around faulty codes - i assume the numbers are the same as GS-911 since they are set by BMW  just thought i'd ask as i couldnt find any info for the codes

No...It's unlimited machines...😁
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 06:33:35 AM »
All depends on which model is purchased the Pro which expensive is unlimited the cheaper version is 10 Vin numbers.

Offline Speedy

• XR Member
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 09:58:33 PM »
Just wanted to bring this back up to the top as a reminder.

As I guy who's thinking about an XR, one of the things keeping me on the fence is the cost of everything else associated with a bmw...This looks like a great (cheaper) alternative to the GS911, which is already a great (cheaper) alternative to needing to have basic services performed at the dealer.
2016 or 2018 BMW S1000XR - Waiting for me to find her...
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Online Watshot

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 12:21:54 AM »
I'm looking at buying one of these as I service myself (now out of warranty), but I'm not that tech savvy so can someone clarify for me:

Smithy linked to two playstore apps; OBD Link and Motoscan. They both look like they do the same kind of thing, i.e. they are both OBD diagnostic scan apps; do you download both to your phone to get functionality or just one or the other? If it's both, how does that work with the tool?

Also, I see the website suggests:

"Consider purchasing MX if you need access to the proprietary Ford & GM vehicle networks (MS-CAN and SW-CAN) in addition to the standard OBD-II protocols."

I also have a U.K (European) Ford, and would like it to cover that as well. Would I need the MX version instead of the LX? It says the LX covers modern European, but has the above caveat, so I'm confused. I don't want to waste money on the dearer version if that's just a U.S thing and it's not necessary.

I know I need the adapter lead for a 2015 bike, has anyone in the U.K sourced a reliable one? Don't want a cheap one if it's going to give problems.

Cheers all.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 01:26:58 AM »
Motoscan is the software, the MX OBD link is the hardware bit...I  have a Euro-4 17 model so don't need the cable.

As far as them working with cars etc...I have no idea. :034:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online Watshot

• XR Member
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 01:48:33 AM »
Hey Smithy, it's the two bits of software you linked to in your first post, does the MX/LX need both to function?

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 02:00:52 AM »
Ah...got ya..!! I found the motoscan one works a lot better for the bike, the other one can read codes and do live data etc...but not much else. Motoscan can read "some" fault codes and reset the service light and mileage till next service etc.
Nowhere near as good as the GS-911 ....but also nowhere near the same cost.

Strangely enough I have both... :034:

Smithy.

Online Watshot

• XR Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 02:06:32 AM »
Ahh, cool, so I can just try it with one and see how it goes. Thanks mate.

Offline Gairo

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: South Staffs
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 09:24:01 AM »
Hey all, I’ve been reading this with interest as I like the ability to have a play with the OBD port and gain access to service resets and the like. Like all the rest of you working folk out there, I can’t justify the price of a GS911 unit as it’s likely to cause injury,... well, the GS911 won’t but the wife will if she finds out :008:
Anyway, let’s see if I can get this straight, firstly I have a 2016 bike so I have the round plug fitted, not the later OBD-II style plug whicih I assume to be the standard ‘trapezoid’ shaped plug you find on most modern cars. If this is the case, I’ll need a converter cable as stated earlier in the thread.
Amazon have this (amongst others) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qiilu-Connector-Diagnostic-Motorcycle-Motorbike-default/dp/B075LKQKR5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1533024540&sr=8-2&keywords=OBD+bmw+motorcycle
So once I have that, I can plug in either a Bluetooth OBD reader or a standard USB powered reader, both of which are available from eBay or Amazon...
I’ve looked at the item that Smithy linked to on eBay in Oz and to be honest it looks like a quality item but it appears to do the same job as the £10GBP Bluetooth OBD item I bought last year off eBay !
Other than a firmware incompatibility (which can be gotten around by updating) I can’t see why you’d need a specific unit (ie; more expensive) to do the job as all it’s doing is opening a gateway into the ECU and so on...
I suppose I’m just thinking out loud and trying to justify any costs to myself (taking my own personal welfare into consideration and avoiding any wife based ear ache of course :008:) but if it really is as simple as getting the hardware to talk to the motoscan software then it looks like you could do this for about £25 GBP
Granted, it’s not going to replace a genuine GS911 unit but as stated, the cost is prohibitive so for the majority of us who just want to reset a service light, I think It’ll do just fine :028:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly...

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 10:19:04 AM »
Would be interesting to find out....I think it might be a case of the correct "protocol" being received and transmitted by the OBD unit itself and whether the unit can read and decifer the info etc....TBH...I don't know about the other OBD units.

Smithy.

dysfunctional