Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Test Request - ABS pump voltage drop  (Read 1372 times)

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: CA
Test Request - ABS pump voltage drop
« on: September 21, 2017, 04:39:18 AM »
Hi guys,
I've posted about this before within a thread, but no one has since replied. I'm hoping you can do a very simple test for me so I can determine if my bike is 'normal' or there is a faulty part.

The Issue
The issue is that while riding at night, every time I apply the front brake, the headlight and dashboard both dim momentarily. It is quite annoying. I have deduced that this is caused by the ABS pump (under the seat) causing a voltage drop in the bike's electrical system. The dimming is more noticeable with the engine running.

Here is an oscilloscope shot of the voltage drop with ignition on, but engine off:

And here is a shot with the engine running:

As you can see, there is up to a 1.5V drop lasting 1/10th of a second when the brake is applied. The result is a *flicker* whenever I press the brakes.

How to Test
I would be grateful if other owners could test their bike and tell me if they notice such a flicker. If you have the tools to measure voltage drop, that would be a plus!

1. Put the bike on center stand in the dark.
2. Turn the key on and start the engine in neutral.
3. Use your foot or a helper to slowly rotate the rear wheel (to simulate the motorcycle moving).
4. Pull the front brake lever firmly. You should hear the ABS pump cycle.
5. Watch the dashboard for flickering.

Thank you!

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
Re: Test Request - ABS pump voltage drop
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 03:24:56 AM »
Bump!

Can someone take 2 minutes to please try this?

Offline JohnnyBeGood

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:19:31 AM »
According manual ABS and traction control only start working when a certain speed is reached i.e. when the light on dash go Off.
Have you taken this into account?
No tools to make the measurements, sorry.

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 05:07:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by JohnnyBeGood [+]
According manual ABS and traction control only start working when a certain speed is reached i.e. when the light on dash go Off.
Have you taken this into account?
No tools to make the measurements, sorry.

The ABS pump still runs due to the linked braking system. This happens regardless of it being initialized or not.

You don't need any special tools, it's simply a visual check.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:37:19 PM »
Mine "flickers" a bit too...My mate also has an XR and it also does it...along with a few other friends with S1000RR's...seems fairly common to me. :034:

All the above machines are '17 models too if it makes any difference.. :027:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 09:48:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Mine "flickers" a bit too...My mate also has an XR and it also does it...along with a few other friends with S1000RR's...seems fairly common to me. :034:

All the above machines are '17 models too if it makes any difference.. :027:

Smithy.

Thanks Smithy. That's all I'm after. Do they all do it, or just some? Is it a quality issue or a design issue? Whether it's an issue or not, well I guess that's debatable  :169:

Sounds like it's not at all uncommon. If anyone else wants to chime in please feel free to do so.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 10:50:20 PM »
 It may be pretty common..I just don't really know :027: Have only sampled a couple of bikes....but I've not had a related issue..!

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!