Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wheel stripes  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Lotus99

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: West Coast
Wheel stripes
« on: September 22, 2017, 08:48:17 PM »
And here are mine I just installed the other day.  :)  Got them through eBay from Europe, from the seller "menatamoto14".  Great quality.  Around $35 US
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:55:07 PM by Lotus99 »

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '16 White XR
  • Town: San Diego
Re: Wheel stripes
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 08:16:46 AM »
Looks good, got mine from the same vendor.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:19:17 AM by Chicken Strip »
Raptor exhaust / HP sport seat / BM crash bars / Nav VI / Dunlop Q3+'s / Puig screen / Synto levers / TPX radar detector / D.I.D gold X chain / HVMP bar ends / RRG cooler guards / Wunderlich f&r fender extenders & big brake lever / Hepco and Becker stand enlarger / R&G f&r axle sliders / rim tape

Offline Lotus99

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 04:27:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chicken Strip [+]
Looks good, got mine from the same vendor.

Thx, your bike looks awesome!  You've got half the mods on it that I've been eyeing!  Good thing you have a mod list in your signature.   :008:

On that note, I'll bug you for a few of them:

1 - Are the tank grips, the Techspec snakeskin ones?  How do you like them?  I don't like the looks of the R&G ones as much

2 - Your cooler guards, they're made by "Racing Radiator Guards"?  I can't find a site for them, just a UK Ebay page, with no products.  Or is that the R&G Racing ones?

3 - Is this the rear wheel hugger you replaced the OEM with?  I've been toying with doing it alongside a tail tidy...
  http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/35861002.html

4 - I'm finding some wind buffeting on the highway with the OEM windshield, even when raised.  The Puig one, did it reduce that?  I'm 5'7".  How about you?

5 - That extra piece on the windshield, isn't that an MRA thing?  Did that make any difference for buffeting?

6 - That exhaust looks so good...  Or the Cobra one.  I just can't justify spending that much on one...  I've been toying with GPR exhausts out of Italy and totally great value.  Had one on my K1300S, and loved it.  Hardly anyone seems to have one around here...  Wonder why.

Thanks for all the answers in advance!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:29:42 PM by Lotus99 »

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 06:26:55 PM »
Thanks, yes the tank grippers are TechSpec.  They work great and apply easily.  The RRG guards are available on eBay.  Good price.  Yes, that's the hugger.  I have the Puig touring screen with a defector or spoiler.  If your 5-7, the one without the deflector should work for you.  I'm 6-2 and the wind just caught the top of my helmet causing buffeting.  The spoiler directs it over my head.  Very comfortable, and it catches 99% of the bugs.  I've had a GPR exhaust before on another bike.  Great quality.

Hope that helps,

Tom
Raptor exhaust / HP sport seat / BM crash bars / Nav VI / Dunlop Q3+'s / Puig screen / Synto levers / TPX radar detector / D.I.D gold X chain / HVMP bar ends / RRG cooler guards / Wunderlich f&r fender extenders & big brake lever / Hepco and Becker stand enlarger / R&G f&r axle sliders / rim tape

Offline Lotus99

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 07:46:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chicken Strip [+]
Thanks, yes the tank grippers are TechSpec.  They work great and apply easily.  The RRG guards are available on eBay.  Good price.  Yes, that's the hugger.  I have the Puig touring screen with a defector or spoiler.  If your 5-7, the one without the deflector should work for you.  I'm 6-2 and the wind just caught the top of my helmet causing buffeting.  The spoiler directs it over my head.  Very comfortable, and it catches 99% of the bugs.  I've had a GPR exhaust before on another bike.  Great quality.

Hope that helps,

Tom

Awesome, much appreciated!  RRG doesn't have anything for sale on their Ebay site for some reason...  I'll contact them I guess.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/racingradiatorguards

I didn't realize Puig made screens with the deflector also.  I see they have a nice aerodynamic test document on the Touring screen, which I have attached below.

I wonder if that might be overkill for me, and if the Racing one would be any improvement over the stock screen.  I can't seem to find any dimensions for it, but they say "Z-RACING screens studied in the virtual wind tunnel, improve aerodynamics and wind protection by 12.7% ON AVERAGE compared to the original." 

If that's true, that might be good enough for me, as most of my rides are 100 miles or so, other than a few trips thru the year.

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 03:31:56 AM »
Well, here is the US eBay site, but it doesn't seem to be working: http://stores.ebay.com/racingradiatorguards.  Wind screens like seats, are highly personal.  If you can find one you like, your lucky. 

Offline Lotus99

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 09:09:33 PM »
Hey Mr. Chicken, I found out why their store wasn't showing anything.  They were on holidays, and for some reason, they prefer to hide all the products...  Which I'll never understand.  Why wouldn't you want people to window shop at least???  I digress...

I'm looking now at the guards, and in terms of installing them, do you do so with zip ties and wires?   :005:  Not with bolts like all the other guards on the market?  They hold up ok over time?

If that's the case, why not just get a Chinese one for half of that?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Black-Radiator-Grille-Oil-Cooler-Guard-Cover-Protection-For-BMW-S1000R-S1000RR-S1000XR-S-1000R-RR/32791189182.html

Also, it might just in the photos I've seen of the other guards, but the upper guard always seems curved.  The RRG one, is it also curved?  How's the fit?

Here's what the Evotech ones look like, for example:

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 11:56:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lotus99 [+]

Also, it might just in the photos I've seen of the other guards, but the upper guard always seems curved.  The RRG one, is it also curved?  How's the fit?

The radiator itself is curved, so one would think all the available guards would be curved. Mine is. :016:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline millview

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »
The Evotech radiator guard is curved...it is a perfect fit and does not use cable ties...highly recommended...get the matching oil cooler guard as well.
S1000XR Sport SE