Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Bike  (Read 1156 times)

Offline millview

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
New Bike
« on: September 23, 2017, 06:53:17 PM »
Greetings.  I collected a new S1000XR Sport SE in blue this morning.  As I departed the dealer, the sun came out as a precursor to a fantastic ride home.  Traded a 6 year VFR1200, which I had owned from new.  Great information on this forum.
S1000XR Sport SE

Offline otrp

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
Re: New Bike
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 07:18:10 PM »
Hello millview and welcome to this great forum. 

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 09:39:21 PM »
Welcome Milli.
I was rather fond of that VFR.. Be interested to hear how the bikes compare for you.

Offline millview

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 03:48:33 PM »
The VFR was a mile cruncher and took me all over Europe in reasonable comfort.  I did though replace the suspension with Maxton parts as the original shock and fork springs were pretty average.  The V4 engine is a terrific unit, but very different in character from the BMW inline 4 of course.  The build quality of the Honda was also excellent. However, though I had owned it from new, it was six years old and it was time for a change. 

The BMW is more upright and so far very comfortable, and it leans into corners in a way the Honda could never do, so it's more fun.  It also has all the latest technology - the VFR remains on sale, but really has little tech and has been left behind in that respect.  In terms of practicality, I think there is little to choose between the two; they can both be loaded easily with lots of luggage and a pillion. The electronic suspension adjustment makes it very simple to adjust the BMW to take a luggage and a pillion though.

One thing I will miss is not having to lube a chain!

S1000XR Sport SE

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 01:31:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by millview [+]
Greetings.  I collected a new S1000XR Sport SE in blue this morning.  As I departed the dealer, the sun came out as a precursor to a fantastic ride home.  Traded a 6 year VFR1200, which I had owned from new.  Great information on this forum.

LOL... :008: I did exactly the same thing, traded my 7 year old '10 VFR1200 on a new '17 XR...in Blue too..! The VFR was indeed a good bike, the only thing I didn't like was the weight and length of it, made it a lot less nimble than the XR...however, it must be noted that the engine in the VFR1200 is just a gem, one of the best out there and IMHO very underated...but the bike is a little outdated by today's standards and the XR has all the farkles and suspension to make it a great thing to ride..! Loving mine thus far..! :152:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Elvisto

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Audley, S-o-T
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 09:21:28 AM »
 :400: Millview, I'm sure you'll enjoy the xr,

Have to agree about the VFR 1200 fantastic engine but they do need to update the rest of the bike,
Adventure before dementia

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 03:24:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Elvisto [+]
Have to agree about the VFR 1200 fantastic engine but they do need to update the rest of the bike,

I could be wrong but don't think they'll produce the VFR1200 after this year, pity really, they were a fine thing. As you say, they need to get them up to spec with all the farkles if they do continue them.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

dysfunctional