Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gas tank protection  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Lotus99

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: West Coast
Gas tank protection
« on: September 25, 2017, 07:07:18 AM »
So after only 400 miles with the bike, as I expected, I'm already seeing scuff marks on the rubber portion around the base of the gas tank.  How are yours holding up?  On my last bike, the K1300S, that area was all painted, so I went with 3M paint protection film, which worked great.  But since this bike's is matte rubber, I don't think that'll look good.

This one is the favourite for looks for me:  http://techspec-usa.com/motorcycles/bmw/bmw-s1000-xr-2015-current-snake-skin-tank-grip-pads.html

If not, I'd get this I guess, but I don't like how it looks, and I'd definitely skip putting the ones on the painted tank.  http://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/BMW/S1000XR/2015/EZRG109/

Anyone else?  I saw a video on TheLikeableRider's youtube channel, and it looks like he went with a carbon fiber wrap, which isn't a bad idea.

Offline corriej

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Pretoria, GT
Re: Gas tank protection
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 11:42:22 AM »
I am using these: http://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/BMW/S1000XR/2015/EZRG109/

EDIT: Now I see you mention them. The glue is not very sticky. The ones on the paint comes off easily and will not harm the paint.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:52:25 AM by corriej »

Offline Lotus99

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:43:22 PM »
How are the R&G in terms of durability?  The stock rubber part I find it pretty good at keeping you planted under hard braking.  And how are these in that regard?

I like the looks of the Techspec ones, as they seem to match the pattern of the section right below the tank, with the dimples.

I wasn't worried about the paint when taking the off, I don't think they look good there, and it wouldn't work especially on my bike's paint scheme. 

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 04:55:38 PM by Lotus99 »

Offline Chicken Strip

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '16 White XR
  • Town: San Diego
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 06:00:04 PM »
I have the TechSpec ones.  They work and look good.
Raptor exhaust / HP sport seat / BM crash bars / Nav VI / Dunlop Q3+'s / Puig screen / Synto levers / TPX radar detector / D.I.D gold X chain / HVMP bar ends / RRG cooler guards / Wunderlich f&r fender extenders & big brake lever / Hepco and Becker stand enlarger / R&G f&r axle sliders / rim tape

Offline Lotus99

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chicken Strip [+]
I have the TechSpec ones.  They work and look good.

Good to hear.  I wouldn't mind going a CF wrap for looks, but I'd lose the grip I'm afraid from squeezing the tank under hard braking.

dysfunctional