Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wheels interchange with R or RR?  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 XR
  • Town: Savannah GA
Wheels interchange with R or RR?
« on: September 27, 2017, 07:34:12 PM »
Hey, I am looking for a spare set of wheels. My XR stays at my mountain house in North Carolina and I prefer to have a spare set of wheels to keep tires mounted on. It is easier to bring home the wheels and change tires in my shop instead of bringing the bike back each time.

So my question, Do any of you know if and what the difference is between the wheels that fit the XR compared to the single R or the Double R? Looking at the Parts fiche, they all have different part numbers  :232: :148:
Jimmy Chance
"I had the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability"- Ron White

Offline st4gary

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: San Jose
Re: Wheels interchange with R or RR?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 11:35:14 PM »
Keep an eye on Ebay.  In the last year wheels have finally started showing up.  I think I got a steal.  I bought a set with rotors and virtually new tires mounted (OEM tires, bike must have been crashed with only a few 100 miles in it) that look brand new.  Paid less than $1k delivered after some dealing with the seller. I keep a set loaded w/ Q3's for the occasional track day.  All I have to do is swap the sprocket carrier between the rear wheels and I'm good to go.

I believe that the part numbers for the R and RR wheels are different but to be honest I don't know for sure if the wheels are inter-changeable with the XR or not.

Offline Gbjbany

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 s1000xr
  • Town: Sacramento, ca
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 04:21:27 AM »
I looked at front rr wheel  for my 2016 xr, but they are different, the abs ring is mounted to the discs instead of the hub , cant speak to the r

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 08:13:50 AM »
Honest answer I can't remember the exact difference but I had a good look at buying secondhand aftermarket RR wheels last year and realised they are way different even think the rear rim width is different bought Dymags in the end.

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 11:53:18 AM »
The R and RR interchange freely as long as you use the sprocket carrier that originally came with the wheel, as sometimes the left spacer/hub are different from year to year. The XR front is dimensionally the same as the R and RR, but the XR rear is quite different. Bigger bearings, bigger sprocket hub. And as you noted completely different part numbers.
  Best bet is to find a set of the proper XR wheels rather than taking any risk.

Offline Big Dawg

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 XR
  • Town: Savannah GA
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 10:26:33 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I have found and purchased a rear XR wheel and now I am in need of the front. Are there any BMW tech's that can tell me the difference between the RR, R and XR front wheels. Being a machinist by trade, if the castings are the same with only suttle differences, I wouldn't have a problem modifying a wheel. The RR wheels are very easy to come by but the XR wheels seem to be scarce. If anyone knows about a decent front wheel for sale, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jimmy Chance
"I had the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability"- Ron White