Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Think of making the switch, differences between model years?  (Read 5310 times)

Offline andrew.brandon

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • Town: Yorktown, VA
Think of making the switch, differences between model years?
« on: September 27, 2017, 09:10:16 PM »
Hello, I currently have a 2015 single R and I have been thinking of switching to a XR for a while.  I still have about a year before I have paid off enough that I could justify the swap but I am curious if waiting for a 2018 would be worth it over any 2017 that might make my numbers work.   Also curious about why a local dealer still has two 2016's in inventory and can't seem to unload them.   Anything wrong with the 2016's, other than the vibration issue I hear was fixed for the 2017 models?

Offline otrp

• XR Master
Re: Think of making the switch, differences between model years?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 09:52:33 PM »
Hello Andrew and welcome to the forum.

There is nothing wrong with the 16's. I purchased an XR Dynamic Pro package demo in July. Three year warranty, three year roadside assistance and one year membership in the MOA.  They gave me the XR at a substantial discount.  As I put miles on the bike, the vibrations it did have reduced significantly, as I was told by other XR owners they would. I have no fixes done to my handlebar bushings etc. and I am not using any aftermarket bar end weights. I can spend hours on my bike with no discomfort.  It is a hoot to ride, same engine as your R.

You might want to look into the 16's at your local dealer, if the year doesn't matter to you. The discounts were quite staggering at my dealer on the 16. I was not even going to by an XR. My Versys 1000 LT was in the shop for warranty work. They gave me the demo XR to use for seven days.  They offered me the XR with full warranty and the first service done by the dealer at no cost to me. It was a great deal. I didn't have to break in the engine and the tires were already scrubbed in. My Versys was only 23 months old, but the deal was to good to walk away from. A win win all the way.   :001:

As far as differences between the 2017 and 2018 I believe it is all cosmetic:

The 2018 S1000XR is the latest to get BMW’s red, white and blue motorsport livery.
Style HP: new HP Motorsport colors (Light white/Racing blue metallic/Racing red) including Pro seat with stitched XR-logo (from 09/2017).
The paint finish Light white/Granite grey metallic/Racing red will no longer be available.

As far as the16's still in stock.  At least in my area, the industry never recovered form the economic crash of several years ago.  Again, if you are interested in a 2016, check your dealers prices. You might be pleasantly surprised.   :002:

Hope this helped.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:47:46 PM by otrp »

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Spokane, WA.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 12:12:04 AM »
I believe the 2017 & 18's have 5 more HP or 165HP, otherwise, they are/ should be virtually the same as 160HP 2016. As for "vibes", I never really had an issue with my 2016 (until I read  review(s) on it.... oh, the power of journalism and reviews, SOMETIMES IGNORANCE TRULY IS BLISS)....anyway, the vibes on my XR are really no better/ worse than my previous R12GS and R12R, just a different kind of very acceptable vibes. no problem.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:19:08 AM by mike k »
mike k

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 02:58:47 AM »
As mentioned by the other guys...'15 & '16 are essentially identical...'17 & '18 have 5 more ponies, is Euro-IV compliant, come standard with "updated" handlebar vibration rubbers and they also come with a couple of different color schemes...but to be honest....they're all damn good motorcycles...you can't go wrong with any of them... :152:

As otrp says....there will be great deals on '16 MY run-out models as dealers try to shift them off the showroom floors.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:22:48 AM »
The major difference between the 15/16 and later models is the ECU to my knowledge there is no aftermarket fuelling for the 17 bike be it individuals breaking into the ECU or even a PC option.

I see 5hp extra mentioned ha ha you'll see 5hp difference between 2 dyno runs 10 minutes apart so I wouldn't be putting your hopes on that.

Major difference between the models apart from individual spec which varies greatly?? Colour.

Offline cj125

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR SPORT SE 2018
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 09:48:05 AM »
The BMW website does in fact claim 165hp for the latest model....

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/models/adventure/s1000xr.html#/section-four-cylinder-in-line-engine

Where as the previous versions were, I believe, 160hp - so some very minor difference there but as stated above it would probably not be that noticeable!

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 11:01:04 AM »
I've a K1200r that with a Rexxer map and Akra shows 162 on the dyno under 120mph the XR is the quicker more responsive bike over 120 my K would eat my XR alive so I'd take those factory quoted figures as pure fantasy.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 09:37:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
I've a K1200r that with a Rexxer map and Akra shows 162 on the dyno under 120mph the XR is the quicker more responsive bike over 120 my K would eat my XR alive so I'd take those factory quoted figures as pure fantasy.

A good "stock" XR will show ~150-153hp at the wheel depending on the dyno and correction factors etc... The K1200 is a fair bit heavier than the XR so it makes sense that the XR is a bit more responsive....I did ride a K1200 a year or two back...very nice machine it was, very smooth and very powerful, would make a great sport touring machine indeed.
I think the XR would eat the K12 on a race track though, the handling of the XR is just that good. :152: But that's not what the K12 is all about.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 09:51:20 PM »
Not what the XR is about either!! Just the latest version of a sport tourer with an equally small tank !!!

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 10:05:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Not what the XR is about either!! Just the latest version of a sport tourer with an equally small tank !!!

I dunno...can get well over 320kms out of it pretty much every time, unless I ride like a twat :192:....That's ~200miles so not too bad I guess. :027:

Smithy.

dysfunctional