Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi from New Zealand  (Read 1853 times)

Offline GregC

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
Hi from New Zealand
« on: September 30, 2017, 11:29:56 PM »
Hi Team, just brought a 2017 S1000XR. Very impressed thus far 200km to date. Although developed fuel leak so back to dealer. Understand this is a known issue by BMW? Anyway sure it will be rectified. Coming out of a HP4, power on the XR plenty and easy to reach/use on the road vs manic HP4 top end!

Offline otrp

• XR Master
Re: Hi from New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 11:43:32 PM »
Hello Greg and welcome to the forum. Seems a few have had issues with fuel leaks. I've not had any mechanical issues since my purchase in mid July. Let us know what caused the leak when you find out.

Good luck getting things sorted. I'm sure you will love this bike.

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Spokane, WA.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 01:57:16 AM »
GregC - Welcome, I hope you enjoy and appreciate your XR as much as me. As for its power, in my opinion, its "perfect, and all one really needs, and a bit more" for the real roads of life. The only complaint I've got (no big deal) is the location of the heated grips button, other than that its the best do-it-all motorcycle I've owned. In addition, I've had no issues with handlebar vibes on my 2016 XR, which for me are no better/ worse than my previous R12GS and R12R.

Lastly, if your XR came with Bridgestones (which mine did) "IMO" the BS's are "good" but not great, and when you use them up, you may want to replace them with either Pirelli Angel GT's, or Metzler 01's (which some like better than the GT's)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:00:02 AM by mike k »
mike k

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 07:24:55 PM »
Welcome Greg. According to the map, you are the second person on the forum from NZ! Bet you have some great roads down there.

Offline Elvisto

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Audley, S-o-T
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 07:55:14 AM »
 :400:  Greg, good choice of colour, ( mines the same) seems like they've discontinued it for 2018, Enjoy
Adventure before dementia

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 10:43:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by GregC [+]
Hi Team, just brought a 2017 S1000XR. Very impressed thus far 200km to date. Although developed fuel leak so back to dealer. Understand this is a known issue by BMW? Anyway sure it will be rectified. Coming out of a HP4, power on the XR plenty and easy to reach/use on the road vs manic HP4 top end!

Welcome from "over the ditch" mate...! Be sure to let us know what the fuel issue was, there's been a few with similar problems, I think it's the line from pump to one of the fuel rails which isn't fitted properly or the little clamp is duff..

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline GregC

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 04:17:44 AM »
Hi Guys thanks for welcome. Update on fuel issue it is the fuel pump which has hairline cracks in it, leaking when up and under pressure. Still waiting on a replacement fuel pump assembly from Germany. Getting other goodies fitted whilst off the road, but with only 200kms on the clock itching to get it back in service! First time after many BMWs I have had an issue and brand new at that.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 08:36:07 PM »
Hmmm...Sounds a bit strange considering the pump itself is metal and is inside the tank. :006: Usually it's one of the fuel supply lines from the pump to the two fuel rails. Some of the hose clips weren't fitted properly at the factory and the fuel pressure slowly popped them off...but I can't remember it on '17 models, I believe it was mostly '15 & '16 models where this happened....but I stand corrected as usual. :027:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!