Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pannier Frame Removal  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Flashman

• XR Member
  • Bike: Fast White One
  • Town: Dyserth, N Wales
Pannier Frame Removal
« on: October 08, 2017, 08:51:06 PM »
I am looking to temporarily remove the OEM pannier frame from my bike. Rather than leave the two upper mounting screw holes open to the elements, does anyone know if there is a blanking plate available for this?
I did briefly try putting the pannier fixing bolts back in but they protrude and spoil the appearance. I know R&G do a blanking plate for passenger footpeg removal but I can’t seem to find anything on t’internet for the pannier frame. I have also checked my box of bolts for shorter bolts but none fit.
Has anybody had the same problem and found a remedy?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:54:57 PM by Flashman »

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Pannier Frame Removal
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 09:23:59 PM »
Black silicon mastic.

Plug and wipe smooth.

Job done  :028:

Online Watshot

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 12:52:14 AM »
I used some black plastic trim plugs that I happened to have spare. Good tight fit to protect the bolt hole, but easily removed for the temporary application you asked for when you need to refit the panniers for a trip. I didn't bother with the R&G plate for the footrest as, for me, it was a bit overkill to simply blank two frame holes. I think maybe they are just keen to get some more of their advertising on as many bikes as possible..... :034:

This is the type here, I don't know if they are the correct size; I haven't checked. But it gives you an idea if that's the type of solution you are looking for. Used on loads of old cars to hold interior trim. Cheapest option if you're so inclined would be a local scrap yard, these are a bit expensive, I'm sure a search would bring up cheaper options.  :028:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20x-Innenverkleidung-Clips-Universal-Befestigung-Halter-Klips-Schwarz-/161825095356?hash=item25ad86febc:g:5JkAAOSwQPlV9Yyv

Offline DonVulpes

• XR Member
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 08:23:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Watshot [+]
I used some black plastic trim plugs that I happened to have spare. Good tight fit to protect the bolt hole, but easily removed for the temporary application you asked for when you need to refit the panniers for a trip. I didn't bother with the R&G plate for the footrest as, for me, it was a bit overkill to simply blank two frame holes. I think maybe they are just keen to get some more of their advertising on as many bikes as possible..... :034:

This is the type here, I don't know if they are the correct size; I haven't checked. But it gives you an idea if that's the type of solution you are looking for. Used on loads of old cars to hold interior trim. Cheapest option if you're so inclined would be a local scrap yard, these are a bit expensive, I'm sure a search would bring up cheaper options.  :028:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20x-Innenverkleidung-Clips-Universal-Befestigung-Halter-Klips-Schwarz-/161825095356?hash=item25ad86febc:g:5JkAAOSwQPlV9Yyv

Shame there's no 'Like' button, so I'll give you a  :028:

Worth putting a good squirt of ACF50 or XCP Pro in the hole first I would think.

Offline Flashman

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 08:57:35 AM »
Thanks gents for your replies. I'll look at getting some of the plastic trim plugs that Watshot suggested.  :002:

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 09:25:04 AM »
Hi Flashman

If you use the pannier frame bolt nearest the front of the bike they will fit the pannier frame hole nearest the number plate
The 2 small bolts that hold the horizontal bar of the pannier frame will fit the frame holes nearest the front of the bike
No cost option
 :001:
If that doesn't make sense let me know

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 09:31:18 AM »
Pic

Offline Flashman

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 11:43:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by grizzle [+]
Pic

Hi grizzle,

Just tried that and it has worked a treat. Thanks very much indeed for your help.  :460:

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 12:46:56 PM »
Glad to help, had loads of good advice off this site
 :002:

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 11:16:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by grizzle [+]
Hi Flashman

If you use the pannier frame bolt nearest the front of the bike they will fit the pannier frame hole nearest the number plate
The 2 small bolts that hold the horizontal bar of the pannier frame will fit the frame holes nearest the front of the bike
No cost option :001: If that doesn't make sense let me know

Exactly what I did...works a treat and as mentioned..no cost..! :028:

Smithy.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!