Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 6,000 mile service light re-set  (Read 1880 times)

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Canterbury
6,000 mile service light re-set
« on: October 09, 2017, 03:33:53 PM »
My XR is going for the 6,000 mile service on Friday but I doubt I will quite make 6,000 miles - it will probably be about 5,900.  On my previous Multistrada the service reminder couldn't be reset by the dealer unless the mileage had been achieved, so if it was serviced a bit early you had to go back to get the dealer to switch the reminder off once the mileage had been passed.  My Ducati dealer was 15 miles away so it wasn't much of an issue, but as my nearest BMW dealer is 50 miles away I don't want to faff about like that.
Anyone know if the XR is the same or if it can be re-set anytime?

I'm also a bit puzzled that the manual says that the MFD will remind you about 1,000 km beforehand that a service is approaching but it hasn't done it yet?  I'm wondering if it's because the bike had its software updated back in April / May when the dealer was trying to fix a charging fault and it cleared the history or something?

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: 6,000 mile service light re-set
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 05:03:11 PM »
Pretty sure it is able to be reset, but give them a phone call?

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: CA
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 05:37:20 PM »
If it's anything like the GS911, you can reset the service indicator at any time you like. The only restriction was that you needed at least 350km (or something like that) to disable the break-in RPM limiter.

I had my bike in for a warranty job with only 1200 miles and they reset my service light to 7500 miles. It's very possible yours got set to some arbitrary date. I would not worry about it, and instead keep your own log. Ask the dealer to set the service interval when you go in.

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 08:01:05 PM »
Had mine serviced and re-set way before the due mileage as I knew I'd be abroad when it was due, as was going to be doing 1000's miles whilst away.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 11:05:10 PM »
Motoscan and an OBD Link MX can reset the service reminder....~1/3 the cost of a GS-911...but it can't do all the things a GS-911 can do either...but for most of us home mechanics/fiddlers who like to do our own servicing, it's pretty good value.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Karlb

• XR Pro
  • My Life is a Blur
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Crockett, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 01:11:47 PM »
Bmw can be reset at any point. They also ha e an annual trigger for the service reminder. So try to get in at least 6k miles a year :001:
2016 Red Sled

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 10:19:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Karlb [+]
They also ha e an annual trigger for the service reminder. So try to get in at least 6k miles a year :001:

You can reset the annual trigger too, essentially you can set it to pretty much any date and/or mileage you like... :028:

I had an "experimental" fiddle with mine to see what would happen... I reset it to go off on the way to work the next day..sure enough, ~5km after I reached the set point, on came that pesky little light and the "SERVICE" across where the coolant temp would normally be..! :152:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

dysfunctional