Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Had to buy a front fender extender damn it###  (Read 1782 times)

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
Had to buy a front fender extender damn it###
« on: October 09, 2017, 08:28:19 PM »
Noticed lately the bike has been running a fair few degrees hotter than normal and the fans been working overtime.
Yesterday decided to take the rad guards off and check the rads weren't blocked. Have Evotech guards which are 2 years old done well over 30000 miles and still in reasonable nick accept for some gravel rash in a line up the middle which proves they do a good job. Anyway shock horror both rads were badly blocked in a line up through the middle especially the water rad. So after an hour of spraying with a Silkolene road traffic film remover and a hose pipe I finally got them clean. Did about 140 miles today of mixed riding and the bike ran a good 10 to 15 degrees cooler the highest temp it got to was 93c in heavy slow traffic and the fan didn't come on once.
Now this bike is ridden all year regardless of road or weather conditions but is thoroughly  washed at least once a week and in winter rinsed off after every ride especially around the rad guards
So unfortunately going to have to fit an ugly bloody fender extender. :232:

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Had to buy a front fender extender damn it###
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:52:53 PM »
So, if I'm reading it correctly - the guard had a central strut which prevented the removal of traffic film (grease and crud) ?

I'll keep my eye out for that, but think I would do an intensive clean and replace the guards.   On (say) 5,000 miles a year, between March/October - the build-up should be manageable.

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 09:12:23 PM »
I’ll be an interested spectator with this the K series we’re notorious for such and while cleaning solved the issue short term long term it’s always been a new rad.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 09:14:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
So, if I'm reading it correctly - the guard had a central strut which prevented the removal of traffic film (grease and crud) ?

I'll keep my eye out for that, but think I would do an intensive clean and replace the guards.   On (say) 5,000 miles a year, between March/October - the build-up should be manageable.

They look like this. As for 5000 miles I do that in a few months as I said 2 years 35000 miles. The guards work well protecting the rads from damage but need holes to allow air through but mud and fine grit still gets through as well and will eventually clog up the fins hence the need for a fender extender.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:19:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
I’ll be an interested spectator with this the K series we’re notorious for such and while cleaning solved the issue short term long term it’s always been a new rad.

Hi Winger I'd heard that elsewhere hope that's not the case and hopefully the extender plus the guards should eliminate most of it. Don't relish the thought of stripping it down and fully cleaning every few months plus I don't think the radiator would stand too much of that treatment.

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 09:28:50 PM »
Your mileage is about right for the rad to go belly up or it is/was on the K’s if used all year round,their are all sorts of cleaners been tried both from the front and the back although I know of one K running 60/70 thou on the original rad and he’s done very little to it apart from normal washing heres hoping,but if the worsed happens a K rad is the thick end of 500 quid fitting is extra sir.

Offline Harry H

• XR Member
  • Town: Sunny Surrey
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 02:09:16 PM »
Popped over to the continent last weekend to enjoy some foreign tarmac with a bunch of mates. Half way through Belgium on the motorway I noticed the bike was running hot. Pulled into a layby and there was coolant all over the bike.

On closer inspection theres a bloody great ding in the Evo rad guards and a hole in the radiator from which coolant is pouring out. God knows what I hit but it must have been heavy and fast. Sat Nav says nearest BMW dealer is 20 miles away so keeping it low on the revs and with a couple of stops to top up with water we got there about 3.30 in the afternoon on a Friday.

They didn't have one in stock but as we'd got there before the 4pm deadline they could order a new one to arrive first thing in the morning. Man down was left in the field and the rest carried on to the original destination.

The dealer booked me a local hotel arranged to get the mechanic in an hour earlier the next morning to get it fitted.

After a wonder round the town, a bite to eat, two beers and a carafe of vino collapso I was tucked up in bed to arrive back at the dealers 8am the following morning. New rad fitted and I'm back on the road to catch up with the rest by 10am.

Talk about fantastic bloody service. If only it hadn't cost me the best part of £600.

Mind you I had a great run down the autobahn the next day on me todd. I'm sure it was the top box causing the wobbles to set in at 144mph :046:

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 02:16:16 PM »
Sod's law, but sounds like you got the best result you could, from it.

Getting the mechanic in an hour early is quite something!

Offline Harry H

• XR Member
  • Town: Sunny Surrey
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 02:30:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
Getting the mechanic in an hour early is quite something!

Have to say I'm the first to bleat about BMW service costs but of all my visits to dealers over the years the service of the BMW experience has always been exceptional. Probably why I keep buying them. They have always been a cut above the other brands dealer channels(at a price). Maybe because they approach it from a premium car brand angle and not from a background of traditional biking.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 10:24:48 PM »
I have the Wunderlich fender extender.  Works well.

dysfunctional