Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Crash protection choices  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Lotus99

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: West Coast
Crash protection choices
« on: October 11, 2017, 02:22:48 AM »
So I've been toying with getting a set, and at first, I looked at the "Bobbins" variety, and sure, they are super stealth, but I don't think that'll do much in terms of protection, will it?  Especially on the fairings?

Like the R&G one:  http://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/BMW/S1000XR/2017/CP0394

Then I figured if I'm going to bother protecting my bike, I might as well go and protect the fairings also.  So I moved on to actual crash bars.

The BMW crash bars are the most expensive, and I thought too small for protecting anything more than the engine?  It seems they went with the most aesthetically pleasing size.

The aftermarket options include Givi TN5119, which I like the coverage of, as it's higher up the fairings.

Or SW Motech's.  They're a little more understated, so I prefer them looks wise, but do they stick out enough to protect the fairings also?

Offline JohnnyBeGood

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Crash protection choices
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 09:26:47 AM »
Don't forget the Wünderlich!

Offline steveharleyuk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: gloucester
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 11:34:48 AM »
I've looked at the same options and the SW Motech look like the best choice. I'm sure they must take into account the fairings otherwise what's the point. I don't like the way the other two go over the fairings, spoils the look IMO

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
Over the years i’ve been as guilty as the next person when buying crash bars or is that bling!!! Until I threw my Tiger down the road and realised exactly how much work Touratech had put into the them.

When looking for such for the X/Rwas undecided till Cuban rider posted his vid of him crashing I bought the BMW bars the same as his.

Offline steveharleyuk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: gloucester
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 12:13:13 PM »
from the s1000xr.com forum....

I went with the SW-Motech crash bars.  They blend in better and stick out further to protect the plastics.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 02:44:41 PM »
And make for a nice open ended scoop when the bike is sliding down the road or grass or just about anyth8bg else that isn’t perfectly flat.

Offline Lotus99

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: West Coast
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 05:31:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Over the years i’ve been as guilty as the next person when buying crash bars or is that bling!!! Until I threw my Tiger down the road and realised exactly how much work Touratech had put into the them.

When looking for such for the X/Rwas undecided till Cuban rider posted his vid of him crashing I bought the BMW bars the same as his.

How did his fairings make out in the crash?  I realize now from steveharleyuk's comment about how far the bars stick out, that's one thing which isn't obvious from the angle of these pictures, and makes a big difference in protecting the fairings - not just how high they go.

For me, I won't be going off roading with this bike, but given its height for me (my heels don't touch the ground), I've had a few scary moments when stopping on gravel or inclines, and god forbid she goes down, this way I'll have protection.

On the F700GS I also ride, which I took off-road, the Givi bars totally protected the fairings when she went down on a gravel hairpin corner I took too fast.   :028:

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 05:52:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lotus99 [+]
How did his fairings make out in the crash? 

Look for the vid on the other channel if I put a link up it’ll get taken down but it hilights the difference between hypethical coulda/shoulda/woulda and feck me they work really well that’s what I want but don’t go expecting a 5mph get off  :001:

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 12:02:17 AM »
The R&G Aero protectors work to an extent. I can say on the right hand side only the hand guard (£20) and the tip of the exhaust touch down (too much)
The bodywork is layered but underneath the black plastic piece is huge (the one with the black fins on) and very expensive, easily worth the £64 for the bungs

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 12:04:46 AM »
Just to add, watching your bike rotate around on the crash bung is a very surreal event, whilst wondering how you ended up on the roadway
The damaged one came out easily and was duly replaced
I know their is an argument that they can do more damage than they save, but for slow speed spills and drops, i'm for them

dysfunctional