Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Not just the bars, the whole bike, 2017 model  (Read 4568 times)

Offline steveharleyuk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: gloucester
Not just the bars, the whole bike, 2017 model
« on: October 11, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »
I've just got my hands on an ex-demo 2017 model SE Sport with all the toys, panniers, hp seat etc. Great bike, but..... as I approach 4,000 revs I get what I describe as a deep vibration, not just in the bars but from the pegs upwards, throughout the bike, including the seat. It doesn't go away as I move through the rev range. Also, as I approach 70mph the left mirror blurs and that doesn't go away until I've moved beyond 80mph ( on a private road obviously  :002:) I've been led to believe that the vibrations have been sorted in the 2017 model. This clearly isn't the case on this bike, registered end of June 2017. It's done 4,000 miles. Would appreciate any thoughts. Sorry to bring up the vibration issue again, but it's bad. Is it likely to get better with mileage ? By the way, my other bike is a Harley so I'm used to vibrations, just not this buzziness.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:05:52 PM by steveharleyuk »

Offline Motoman

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Naples, Fl.
Re: Not just the bars, the whole bike, 2017 model
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »
It does seem to vary from Bike to Bike. My "16" buzzed pretty good when I bought it. I came from a K1600 which was butter smooth. During my test ride I was thinking Damn this thing sure is Buzzy but I loved the bike and was not going to let that deter me from buying it because it was just too much fun to ride! Put HVMP bar ends on and added Beemer buddy grip covers. They help a little with the buzz and make the grip much better. Stock seem too small. Also had the retro fit bushings installed. With those 3 mods my bike is almost buzz free. Especially at highway speeds. (over 75).I don't have many miles on it yet but from what I have read it does get better. One thing that is very important is the torque specs on the handle bars. Not sure what they are. Maybe someone else can chime in with that. Coming from a Harley its def going to have a different feel. Inline 4's just have a different "Buzz" then the thump thump vibes of a HD. Way too much fun to worry about. Enjoy the ride  :305:

Offline steveharleyuk

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 01:05:22 PM »
I've also come from an inline 4 Versys 1000. No buzz on that.

Offline steveharleyuk

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 01:06:49 PM »
Do the grip covers affect the heating from the grips mate ?

Offline Motoman

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 01:10:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by steveharleyuk [+]
I've also come from an inline 4 Versys 1000. No buzz on that.
I believe they have a counter balancer that The XR does not have. Wish BMW would consider that for future models. It may cost a few HP's but would be well worth it.

Offline Motoman

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 01:14:31 PM »
Do the grip covers affect the heating from the grips mate ?

Nope. they seem to heat just fine with the Grip covers on. Really give the grip a better feel IMO. Heated grips not much of an issue in SW Florida. We do have some cool days
and the beemer buddies do not seem to make any difference other than maybe taking a little longer to heat up. :152:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 02:50:33 PM »
I've just got my hands on an ex-demo 2017 model SE Sport with all the toys, panniers, hp seat etc. Great bike, but..... as I approach 4,000 revs I get what I describe as a deep vibration, not just in the bars but from the pegs upwards, throughout the bike, including the seat. It doesn't go away as I move through the rev range. Also, as I approach 70mph the left mirror blurs and that doesn't go away until I've moved beyond 80mph ( on a private road obviously  :002:) I've been led to believe that the vibrations have been sorted in the 2017 model. This clearly isn't the case on this bike, registered end of June 2017. It's done 4,000 miles. Would appreciate any thoughts. Sorry to bring up the vibration issue again, but it's bad. Is it likely to get better with mileage ? By the way, my other bike is a Harley so I'm used to vibrations, just not this buzziness.

Who the hell told you the 17 was any different from the others?

Did you demo the bike before you bought it.

Have you been back to the dealer and ridden another bike

Have you got heavy bars ends on.

Is the chain tensioned right

As for the mirror thing every X/R i’ve Ridden does similar without the heavy bar ends on.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 02:56:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Motoman [+]
I believe they have a counter balancer that The XR does not have. Wish BMW would consider that for future models. It may cost a few HP's but would be well worth it.

Put a balanced on an X/R yea sure you’ll loose the vibes and the HP and it wouldn’t be a few go ride a Versys.

Everyone wants their cake and eat it but we are talking internal combustion engines here and they don’t work like that.

Offline steveharleyuk

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 03:21:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Who the hell told you the 17 was any different from the others?
BMW have stated that the 2017 has been sorted regarding the vibes

Did you demo the bike before you bought it.
a short ride but probably too short for it to be as apparent

Have you been back to the dealer and ridden another bike
yes, another 2017 which wasn't as bad, but it was blue !  :002:

the dealer is also going to have a prolonged look at it tomorrow, so I'm hoping they can spot something that they can improve upon.

Have you got heavy bars ends on.
no but will put them on if it's going to help, trouble is it's not just the bars.

Is the chain tensioned right
yes

As for the mirror thing every X/R i’ve Ridden does similar without the heavy bar ends on.
strangely it's only the left hand mirror and goes away at around 80

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 04:44:20 PM »
Will be interesting to see what they say the dealer that is I wouldn’t believe BM if they told me today was wednesday or any other manufacturer for that matter.

My bike isn’t as good as the demo bike I rode at Clark’s on the Lickies but after i’ve Been riding my 1100s feels fantastic  :002: