Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New bike motor ticking  (Read 1542 times)

Offline wildspeedy

• XR Member
  • Bike: xr 1000 2017
  • Town: Montreal
New bike motor ticking
« on: October 12, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »
Hi guys,

I just bought a xr 2017 in september. My bike started ticking at 300 km ( 186 miles ).
If you keep the throttle steady at 2000 rpm or 3600 rpm you can hear it really clear. Sounds like loose valves clicking.
Like ...click a click a click. Im now at 500 km done on break in and the sound is louder.

Got worried so talked to me dealer and the said the motor was knocking also.
So they opened up the entire motor, checked the valve specs,cams, camshaft chain slack, and butterflys or jets  dont remember.
So they wer unable to find why my bike was making the noise.

So they gave me back the bike, and it still clicks. Seller told me to ride it like i stole it and wait after first service to see if the oil change will make the sound go away or not.
Any advice to give me? anyone else has this problem?  :187:
Thanks
Dan

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: New bike motor ticking
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 07:27:33 PM »
Hi Dan,
It's good that you have made your dealer aware of the issue, which will make any warranty issues easier should you need it. Bring it up again with them at your first service and be sure to let them know you're not happy with it.

I found my '17 XR engine was "mechanically louder" than any of my other bikes, I came from a long line of Honda's, including a Blackbird and VFR1200, and they were very quiet, refined and smooth engine wise compared to the XR. The BMW S1000 engines are indeed quite noisy compared to most I have seen.
I initially thought mine was about to explode as I thought it sounded like a tin full of nuts and bolts... :005: ...this was until I heard some of my riding mates engines, (another XR and a few RR's)...they were indeed the same as mine.

I did have cam chain tensioner issues with mine which had shown up within ~2000km but this has now been sorted, but I believe it was unrelated to the "other normal" engine noises.

Would be good to hear what others think of their S1000 engines compared to other bikes they have owned...??

Cheers,
Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 08:27:15 PM »
Go on the other channel there’s a thread on there about a guy in Thailand exactly the same story have a read of it.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 08:42:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Go on the other channel there’s a thread on there about a guy in Thailand exactly the same story have a read of it.

Ah yes....I remember reading that some time back...it's a good read too.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Cadburydragon

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Auckland
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 09:43:32 PM »
Hi Wildspeedy
I've just gone through exactly the same thing with my dealer.
I noticed the bike had a loud ticking noise and did the usual googling. Came across the whole issue of dodgy cam shafts etc and started to get paranoid. I then progressed to be a royal pain in the backside for my local BMW workshop lol.

First I asked their opinion and they told me the bikes are typically noisy and this is normal. Fine I rode away but still wasn't comfortable with the noise. More googling, more paranoia!!

Went back again and this time got the service manager to have a look. Same answer. Rode away and 2 days later had that nagging feeling and wanted to put this to bed and also formally log this with the workshop just in case something happened later that could be traced back.

So....emailed BMW NZ and they were great. Don't get me wrong the workshop guys were good and all this is for my own piece of mind. BMW NZ had a chat with the workshop and they concurred re the diagnosis...Just what the bike does re noise/ticking. However, the workshop rang/emailed back and offered to take the bike in, test ride and check cold start etc to rule out any possible issues such as chain tensioner etc as well. I bit the bullet and said yes thinking this was going to cost me but it was worth it for piece of mind.

In the mean time further googling....lol....There are some good threads on this and some scare stories but one guy has a good youtube clip on his experience and he notes that the XR ticks loudly between 3 and 4k rpm then backs off. If you have this then this is normal. Mine does that as well as the normal background ticking.

Long story short...Workshop had the bike, test rode, checked a few other things and adjusted my chain for me and they confirmed the bike is normal. In fact they said it was the quietest XR they have seen. to prove it they had another XR (2016 as mine is 2015 only 4k on clock) in and they started that to show me. That was rattling/ticking far more than mine and said that was normal. They were aware of the cam shaft issues etc and they have put my mind at rest. Best part was when I asked what I owed them....Nothing was the response. Awesome, great customer care and I also now have the work logged on the bike record.

Yes my bike still ticks but is it something I now worry about....No. Have I got piece of mind I've done everything to get it checked.... yes
Do I still love this bike ....YES!

Anyway that's my story and I hope it helps you with any decisions or course of action.

Safe riding.

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: CA
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 12:49:50 AM »
I notice the fuel injector ticking is pretty loud on this bike, but still not what I'd consider "loud".

The camshaft and cam chain tensioner are the only other sources of ticking that I'm aware of.

Offline wildspeedy

• XR Member
  • Bike: xr 1000 2017
  • Town: Montreal
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 06:42:26 PM »
thanks for the input guys.
So i'm going to follow the dealers recommendations and wait for the first maintenance and oil change to see if it gets worse or stays the same.But mine doesn't have the camshaft symptoms so i should be ok, its probably the NORMAL ticking.
 :002: