Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: eBay LED lights. What switch?  (Read 1126 times)

Offline sevenup

• XR Member
  • Town: Helensburgh
eBay LED lights. What switch?
« on: October 13, 2017, 08:28:55 AM »
I've seen several lights on eBay that might be suitable for mounting on the bike. All are 'LED' with different outputs. Many of them are cheap. The lights in question all have 3 modes. Strobe, dipped and high beam. Has anyone fitted them? How have you wired them? What switch have you used?

I wouldn't need a strobe setting but not sure how the lights would be switched on or how the modes would be reached. I did build an led mountain bike light years ago and it had a momentary switch to get to the different modes but I can't see anything I could use yet. Then again, I'm really not sure what I'm looking for. I've looked at the threads here but I've probably missed the important information I need.

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
Re: eBay LED lights. What switch?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 11:20:36 AM »
I removed the power socket from the front left cover and fitted a water proof switch into the hole that operates my lights. The power socket is secured underneath the cover with a DIN plug fitted and it supplies the power and earth for the lighting circuit.

The lighting circuit uses a Skene IQ275a controller, and I tapped into the high beam power wire to provide the trigger for the LEDs to run at full power.

When the circuit is switched on, the LED lamps run at 20% duty ratio - this can be adjusted from 10% to 100% when you setup the controller). When the high beams are switched on or flashed, the LED lamps then switch to full power.

If you flash the high beams twice, the controller flashes the LEDs in a strobe pattern for warning/punishing oncoming vehicles - this is a function specific to the IQ275a model only.
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline sevenup

• XR Member
  • Town: Helensburgh
Re: eBay LED lights. What switch?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 12:01:09 PM »
Thanks, I'll take a look at that

dysfunctional