Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello from Sarajevo, Bosnia  (Read 750 times)

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
Hello from Sarajevo, Bosnia
« on: October 31, 2017, 12:49:52 PM »
Hello everyone from Sarajevo, Bosnia ! (yes, we are close to Italy and Alps :))
I currently own an 2016 R1200R LC, but I'm seriously thinking about replacing it with an S1000XR. In my research about XR, I came across this forum :)
Before R12R (which is also my first 2 cyl bike ever), I always rode Japanese high revving inline 4's. Bought the R12R for more comfort when touring with my wife, but soon realized that boxer engine doesn't fit my riding stile well. I'm definitely a 4 cylinder person and S1000XR seems like a good solution for my problems, but I'm still not quite sure about it's touring comfort, especially for a pillion...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 12:52:12 PM by esso_sa »

Online otrp

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
Re: Hello from Sarajevo, Bosnia
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 01:32:48 PM »
Hello esso_sa, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have some great places to ride near your location.

If you can, demo an XR and see if it fits your needs.  My dealer gave me an XR for a week, to see what I thought about it. I could have kept it longer if I wanted. I was starting to feel guilty about having it so long, but they know what they are doing.  :001:

There is also some great deals on demos and leftovers this time of year.

Let us know how you get on with your choices.

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 02:01:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by otrp [+]
Hello esso_sa, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have some great places to ride near your location.

If you can, demo an XR and see if it fits your needs.  My dealer gave me an XR for a week, to see what I thought about it. I could have kept it longer if I wanted. I was starting to feel guilty about having it so long, but they know what they are doing.  :001:

There is also some great deals on demos and leftovers this time of year.

Let us know how you get on with your choices.

Thanks for a welcome ! Yes, most of my country is in the mountains, lot's of twisty roads, Adriatic coast is close too so there are lot's of options to chose even for a one day ride.
As for the XR demo ride, unfortunately, we are a pretty small market, and our local dealer doesn't offer demo rides :( When I bought my R12R, it was a blind purchase too - I bought the bike without ever seeing it live. Demo ride was a science fiction :)
I will probably buy the XR, but there will be many questions here on the forum :) Asking questions and collecting information from the people who already own an XR is the only way for me to bypass the lack of demo ride
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 02:05:31 PM by esso_sa »

Online otrp

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 02:52:24 PM »
I can't vouch for the pillion, my wife has her own bike. I'm sure others here will have plenty to say one way or the other. 

I do love the XR. It can be as tame as a scooter, or as gnarly as a beast.   :001:

Offline Elvisto

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Audley, S-o-T
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 07:40:06 AM »
 :400: esso, good to have you along
Adventure before dementia

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Dana Point, CA.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 09:07:46 AM »
Esso - I went from having various BMW opposed twins (R's - S's - GS's). My last one before getting the XR was a 2013 R12R Cam Head. Anyway, I got the XR because/ primarily of "all" BMW models it fits me best/ best ergonomics. In addition, what came along with the XR was its fantastic in-line-four 160HP motor, quick-shifter (won't leave home without it). I find the XR can be ridden all day long like a scooter, or go ballistic, and on the real roads of life below 130MPH (not the track) will stay with/ can beat most all big litter sportbikes at there own game.

I find the XR to be one of the best, if not the best BMW/ motorcycle I've had, also its essentially the first motorcycle I've not had to do a thing to (i.e. no need for an aftermarket seat or windscreen). BTW, I'm 6'0 tall (w) 32" inseam and don't ride two-up!

As for your need for two-up riding. you might/ maybe also want to look at the GS or RT - just saying. Anyway, a good test ride will confirm if the XR fits your needs - best of luck
mike k

dysfunctional